10.11.2008

whitney and i

The other night I had a Tommy Boy moment minus Richard and the out of control driving. All the radio stations were playing obnoxious songs or ads. So when I heard The Greatest Love of All, I paused... and then I sang. Who can resist a duet with Whitney Houston? I don't know what the people passing me thought as I belted it out, nor do I care. All I could hear was my perfect pitch and rich vibrato. Thankfully no one was there to tell me otherwise.

But it got me thinking of when I was younger and much more insecure. I would never have sung out loud in my car for fear of being seen. I also hated going through drive through restaurants by myself. Now I've actually eaten alone in a REAL restaurant. Apparently I have made progress in my adult life.

So, what things used to mortify you that you've outgrown?

7 comments:

Penny said...

I hope you sounded better than the people singing along with Rockband on Friday night!

aisy said...

no one will ever know... ha ha ha. if only we could get a replay of roxanne.

mskaz said...

I've actually gone in reverse. Now I look back and am mortified with things I used to do!

I think everyone busts out in song at some point. I do it all the time, but thankfully I usually have kids in the back, so maybe I don't look as dorky? Or maybe not. I was once driving and bopping around to a song, and my now-husband and friend pulled up behind me and his friend says, "Oh man, look at that woman!" and he's totally laughing. Robb is like, uh yeah, that's Danielle. Kinda funny.

McLovin said...

"Bee's! Killer Bee's!! They're everywhere! You're weapons are useless against them!!!"

Anonymous said...

That brought back memories of seeing a chick bopping away in her car - just really rockin - the old man and I were quite entertained. When we pulled along side the car it turned out to be mskaz! (It wasn't kids in the back that time - but a wheaten, curly haired, Charlie dog)

Dorienne said...

This comment has nothing to do with your post.....just knew you'd see it. Yes, you were Grandma's sunshine. Hee hee. Love grandma. She was gone too quickly.

Erica Thinks said...

Apparently now I bawl out high school twerps who are acting up in Target.

I was trying to pick out a journal for myself and this kid in the same aisle was complaining loudly to his mom about how he didn't want to be in AP English and he didn't care what notebooks she bought. I stood there for about 2 minutes and listening to his obnoxious whining, before I surprised myself by turning to him and saying, "Sorry you're in AP English, but I can't hear myself think, so can you please simmer down?"

Yes, I said 'simmer down'. The kid, his mom, and I were all equally shocked by this.

So, here I am, 24, and I can boss snotty kids in front of their moms, and they do what I say. I certainly never would have done this in the past, and I can't decide if it's me being empowered or me being frightfully rude. Power is scary.