8.20.2006

when the moron is you...

We've all heard those stories that are much more amusing because they didn't happen to you. Well, yesterday I became the star of one such story.

It all began at about 12:30 p.m. I had just finished a late lunch, due to my cardio/yoga Saturday morning ritual. I was waiting to hop in the shower, as my friend had told me she would stop by while walking her dog to bring me the money she owed me from the Death Cab for Cutie concert. By the way, the put on a great show, as did Mates of State. The doorbell rang and we sat on my porch chatting away when a nasty wasp kept buzzing around me and the door. To avoid it entering my house, I shut the door. We chatted some more and then said our goodbyes. I turned to enter my house only to gasp in horror. I had locked myself out with my phone inside. The invention of cellular phones has created the inability for me to memorize phone numbers. With no way of knowing when my roommate would be home, and no way of breaking in, I resigned myself to finish walking with my friend and her dog. I went over to her house still in my sweaty work out clothes with a sunburn beginning to develop on my pale-ass shoulders and chest. I used her phone to call the only friend whose number I have memorized. After leaving several messages on both her and her husband's cell phone, I waited patiently. I walked back to my house to leave a note written on bright paper for my roommate. Upon my return to my friend's house, I was greeted with the news that my other friends were en route to break in. Apparently my friend's husband has a knack for that sort of thing, although he is an upstanding member of society.

I sat on my friend's porch and snoozed in the sun. They arrived much later than they had originally anticipated, drove me to my house, and within seconds (with the help of a Discover credit card), we were inside. Considering I have about three friends in Provo, no way to contact my roommate or landlord, and just the clothes on my back, a two and half hour wait to get in my house was pretty darn good. The moral of this story is that wasps not only sting, they can also make you lock your silly self out!

7 comments:

Dainon. said...

Talk more about Mates of State! A friend of mine said they sounded not unlike the Partridge Family, and I refuse to believe that.

Jill said...

When the mormon was me: In high school, I locked my keys in my car while ditching school. I had to wait four hours before calling my mom.

Jill said...

AHH I accidently wrote "Mormon." That is more embarassing than locking myself out of the car!!

T.Douglas Robbins Esq. said...

Ha. Locked whilst leaving classes, I like. I got in my car one morning to get the sick line number off my work badge. I called the line and afterwards got out of the car and went back into my apartment. A few hours later I realized I locked my keys in the car. They were sitting comfortably in the middle of the driver's seat. Not having a copy, I called my mother, she kindly came down from Salt Lake and liberated my keys. Embarrassing and mother abuse.

Joy said...

I was locked out of my house a few weeks ago....

Mates of State? I'd like to hear more too.

Sara said...

My college roommate and I locked ourselves out of our room the first morning of Freshman year...and discovered it only as we returned from taking showers. Since she had actually brought a change of clothes with her, I she got to be the one to climb along the very narrow ledge from our roommate's window to ours and try and pry it open.

Glad you were able to get in.

aisy said...

tod, you can blame sickness on your foggy head... jill, your comment slip up made me really smile, i'm glad you did it! mcollie, i think i would have rather had the clothes in that situation!

dainon and sherp, i really liked mates of state. i think their style is definitely geared toward a more intimate atmosphere but i think they rocked it. i really dug kori's style on the keyboard. i am surprised by the partridge reference... different strokes for different folks i suppose.