12.18.2007

names

My readers all know that I have an unusual name. Granted my parents didn't call me Apple, Camera, Puma, Fifi or Banjo (actual names of celebrity children) but it's still a little different.

I wonder if my name would be different had I been born in Rome. Apparently some parents were forced to change the name of their child, Friday, because it might hinder him from having serene interpersonal relationships. Compared to a lot of names out there, Friday seems fairly benign. Apparently the powers that be in Rome didn't think so. Click here to read the full story. I do think some names have gotten way out of control but I think government interference is even MORE out of control.

4 comments:

Sara said...

My favorite is Kal-El. Now talk about hindering a child's ability for a serene interpersonal relationship.

aisy said...

who named their kid that? now that one is nutso

Anonymous said...

That would be Nicholas Cage.

My favourite celeb baby name is Audio Science by that girl who was in A Knight's Tale. I mean, that is classic.

The worst thing about having an unusual name is not being able to find your name on those mini license plates for your bicycle or personalized pencils. That was always a drag growing up. Now, I see my name everywhere though and I'm kind of over needing the personalized stuff. Darn.

Anonymous said...

Hey - c'mon. Admit it - you love your name! I know there is a tendency for parents to be a little unique when naming their offspring these days - but there is such a thing as going too far.