12.06.2007

thank goodness for spell check

(Or, Why don't people use it?)

So, I am a member of the fast growing "Facebook." At first I was leery but then I began to appreciate all the contact I have with long lost friends. It's also a good way to beat others in scrabble or get beaten. I really enjoy seeing what people are up to these days. Anyway, there is a handy little section that is the "News Feed." Here you get information on the coming and goings of friends and I noticed one of my friends joined a group called:

"If Hillery Clinton becomes President I am moving to Cananda!"

I went to the group believing it was a joke. It had to be if Hillary and Canada were both spelled wrong. Upon further examination it seemed like a legitimate group. Today there was a posting about Glenn Beck being the best guy in televesion [sic]. By the way, I have always wanted to use sic in a sentence. I'm glad I got my chance.

I'm not trying to be rude. I admit to using poor grammar and misusing punctuation (I am sure this post is full of them). I have even had the occasional misspell. However, I do think if you are going to create a group opposing something or trying to make a statement, you might want to spell it correctly. Otherwise how are you going to be taken seriously?

2 comments:

Joy said...

I agree. Earlier this year, a wrestling program at a college in the midwest had their program suspended due to academics, and so the wrestlers went to a college meeting trying to get their program reinstated. Well, one wrestler had a sign that said "Save Wressling." Yeah.

Anonymous said...

I happened to be in a used bookstore in Mystic, Connecticut the day of the last election and a gaggle of local book mavens were saying if Kerry lost, they were moving to Canada.

All talk and no action, I think.

Anyway, we're pretty particular who we let in. Draft dodgers are okay, but disaffected Republicans, I don't think so. (That ought to result in a lot of poorly speeled (sic) rebuttal.