5.25.2009

4:28:04

I may not be the fastest, but I'm not the slowest. On May 16th, 2009 I completed my first marathon. That's 26.2 miles (42km) of running. 




And for a former lazy, excuse making asthmatic that was an accomplishment. Three years ago I couldn't run more than a mile without huffing and puffing. I thought about that as I ran the beautiful Ogden course. The sun was out, there was a slight breeze and I felt strong. About mile 17 the song on my iPod came on "Ain't no mountain high enough, ain't no valley low enough..." and all I could do was smile. I knew I would finish the race. I knew I still had energy to burn.

Kristina joined me about mile 20 and it was awesome to see a familiar face. She kept me sane for the last two miles and cheered me on as I ran to the finish. My quads were on fire but all I could think of was "I am finishing a freaking marathon. I did it. I could do it. I AM doing it." I came in under 4 hours 30 minutes, which was my goal. And I even felt good enough to know this wasn't going to be my last marathon. Now I have a time to beat.

There are a few life moments that make me feel pretty damn proud. My master's, my new house... and finishing a marathon. Because there really is no mountain high enough.

11 comments:

Liz said...

You are amazing!!! Seriously! Congrats on your accomplishment!!

Mel said...

Way to go Aislinn! I'm doing my first half marathon this year, but a full? Well, baby steps. . . Congrats.

mskaz said...

Good job miss! Seriously, I can't imagine ever doing that. Looked like a nice day too!

Unknown said...

So your goal was to beat Oprah? Good work.

aisy said...

Thank you all. Mel, that's awesome. I remember being so nervous with my first half!

I beat Oprah?! Rock on. Not sure if that's an accomplishment or not, but hey, it was good enough for me.

Jessica said...

Great job!!! I'm proud of you! Maybe some day I'll join you in a race.

rockstar said...

That is the coolest ever! You are an inspiration to me! Congratulations.

Penny said...

congrats!! You're amazing! I am at the point you were at 3 years ago when one mile made you huff and puff.

Cory&SadieK said...

hey rockstar Aislinn! You are pretty much amazing and check out how cute you look after running. You are hot stuff. Congratulations to you also.

Joy said...

You're my hero. Seriously, that's incredible.

Jenn said...

You're amazing. Huge congrats.