9.16.2009

when bad things happen to good people...

...who procrastinate.

Due to some bad business practices of my "former" bank surrounding my past potential mortgage with them, I decided to switch banks once I actually bought my home with a new lender. I pulled out most of my money and left just a little bit to cover the last automatic withdrawals that would happen before I could switch it all over. That was several months ago. I kept thinking I should close the account but it wasn't on my priority list, and hey, I do procrastinate. So, I was going through my secondary email accounts that I don't check every day when I saw an alert that I was in overdraft with my former bank. What the heck?! Having never been in overdraft I was mortified and confused as to how that could happen.

Turns out that a year ago I authorized my AAA account to use automatic withdrawal. Well, that yearly payment from my OLD bank account put me in to overdraft. Awesome. To top it off, I continued to get a daily charge for each day I was in the red. And because I don't often check that one email account, I've been in debt for three days. So I decided to deposit a cheque tonight to clear it all up and to once again feel like a financially responsible person... until I remembered that my debit card from that bank had expired. I shredded the new card last month because I was closing the account. Are you all following me here? So, now I get another daily charge until I can go in to the bank and deposit the necessary money. Then can you guess what I'm going to do? Yup, close that damn account... which I should have done months ago.

Lesson learned.

Oh, and I still hate that bank. Yes, I hate you WELLS FARGO.

9 comments:

Jenn said...

I just read a news article a couple of days ago about how Wells Fargo is particularly bad (and staunchly unforgiving) about steep overdraft penalties. Bummer.

rocky said...

And don't forget to contact the AAA with your new banking info!

Liz said...

That sucks! We did something kind of similar with one of Craig's old accounts that we no longer used but still had a little over $50 in. They decided to all of a sudden start charging fees for the account, so we decided we should close it, but you had to send a fax in to close it since they don't have any local branches, but since we don't have a fax machine, we kept putting it off. Well, Craig finally got around to closing the account, after probably a year or so and we got a nice big check for $2! Yep, our procrastination cost us 48 bucks! Oh well, luckily we didn't wait one more month or we would have had to pay them money to close the account!

Dorienne said...

That sucks. I find that when I'm ready to divorce a bank/store/service provider, it's always nice to let them know why you are divorcing them. Sometimes they will try and win you over with perks, presents etc. Banks are pretty screwed up down there.

mskaz said...

FUNNY! Been there, done that!

Oh and HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!

Anonymous said...

must run in the family...


Happy b-day baby!

mskaz said...

Totally runs in the family. I would think that all of us, except perhaps mother have done something similar.

Also, extremely hilarious that mom responds to reminding you to also contact AAA! Hahahahah. Classic ma, classic.

rocky said...

Yes - that is classic ma. On a similar note - we just got new credit cards with the new pin numbers and they sent us 2 identical cards each. When we activated them by phone - the guy on the other end was puzzled why we got 2 and said to take both cards the first time we used them as only one would work!!!! Can imagine what the retailer might think. Probably that we'd just cranked them out at our little home cottage business.

rockstar said...

I just laughed out loud. I can very much identify with serious procrastination...which always results in disasters. Hopefully I have not passed this on to my kids, but we'll have to wait and see...