10.03.2009

posse


Sometimes I envision a posse of past pets (dogs) roaming around Heaven. Maybe not crazy Jiggs or nutty Ben... but Albert and Breta would be the best of friends... The top dogs of all the pets we've had. Ted's iguanas and geckos might be tagging along when they're not "too cool for school." And if Jiggs has learned to quit barking up in Heaven, the head honchos might let him play. That dog could be so annoying, but it was nice to finally have a dog I could put on my lap!

I might be off my rocker, but yesterday I had this image of my sister's dog Charlie jumping and licking and playing with the rest of the crew up there. His hair would still be in his eyes, and he would be as lovable and hugable as ever.

My sister once told me that getting Chuckie was the best decision of her single life. He adjusted well to her marriage and loved her kids... and they all loved him. As hard as it is to say goodbye to a sweet member of the family, I wonder how enriched my life would be if I could come home to an unconditionally loving pup. But saying goodbye is hard, really hard. And when it came to saying goodbye to our past dogs, I had a hard time remembering "Don't cry because it's over. Smile because it happened." (Oh Dr. Seuss, so wise)

As far as becoming a pet owner, I haven't decided yet. But one thing I do know is that all dogs DO go to Heaven.

5 comments:

rocky said...

I liked that Breta and Charlie were pretty good friends - remember how Breta would go herd Charlie when he had selective hearing?

Loved the Dr. Seuss quote.

Anonymous said...

Love the post Aisy. We broke the news to the kids yesterday and they all talked about Charlie joining Breta in heaven.
I agree that Charlie was so good for Dani, man was he an ADORABLE puppy!!!

mskaz said...

He was a sweetie. That was the first thing Parker said too... Charlie could go to heaven to play with Breta. Some of my happiest memories of Charlie are when I first got him and he was such a typical pup and Breta would keep him in line. He loved her. I hope they had a happy reunion.

I still can't believe he's really gone. He truly was one of a kind and I'm going to miss his sweet personality so much.

Dorienne said...

Charlie really was the best dog ever! Henry is sitting on my lap while I type this and he is pointing and barking at the picture. How cute.

Dad said...

Henry would love a dog to keep herd on him. That boy is all go.

Charlie spent a lot of day time with us back in the early days, and he brought a lot of joy to my little girl over the years. Saying farewell to a good dog is a tough thing, but Charlie left us all a bit better in our humanity.

The dog of my youth has to be included in our Dog Hall of Fame as well, my black Lab Jet. An incorrigible rascal in some ways, but certainly was a boy's best friend. We went everywhere together, including places we should not have gone -- the hole in the ice on the river comes to mind.

We love our dogs. Almost as much as they have loved us.