10.07.2009

what do you call it?

It's not irony... I think... since Alanis Morrisette's song does not apparently contain "ironic" situations. But definitions are not my strong suit.

So readers, tell me what you would actually call this true event:

A person spends an hour talking with teenage boys about how to be mature and appropriate in relationships. She takes some time and effort in telling them that communication is key, and that you have to learn how to have real discussions. Texting, IM'ing is not really talking. You can mask your insecurities, show more courage and boldness without having to face the person. She hopes they have taken just a kernel of what she said to develop healthy, mature relationships.

An hour later she receives a text message from a man she has never met. He could be a perfectly nice person. He was given her information by a mutual acquaintance... a set-up of sorts. He asks her out over text. They don't even know what their voices sound like. She wishes he had listened to her advice that she gave to teenagers just an hour ago... and wondering if this is really what the adult dating world has also come to.

So, is this irony? Word aficionados please help.

This is not meant to slam this person or make fun or be cruel. It's just a huge pet peeve of mine when people use impersonal means to start/initiate relationships or hide behind their fears or insecurities. I worry that the younger generation is losing all of their communication skills because they don't even talk on the phone anymore. I'm a fan of the text, don't get me wrong... but timing and situations need to play a role in to when it is used.

4 comments:

Jenn said...

Haha, I don't know what that's called, but it is funny. I had a guy (that I knew in real life) ask me out over facebook once. I genuinely wanted to go out with him, but I told him I would only go on one condition - that we pretended he did NOT ask me out on facebook. Apparently he was offended...we never went out.

aisy said...

Oh wow, that's bad. Think you got a winner, so you clean break I say!

mskaz said...

I haven't been able to post on Blogger for a week! Anyhow, i never did hear the end of this story! What did you do? Text back and say, "DUDE????"

aisy said...

texted back and said my parents were in town and to call back in a few weeks. he said "sounds great." i'm sort of hoping i don't hear back. ha ha.