10.17.2005

literature


I read quite a bit over the summer, but have found myself slowing down the last few months. My recommendations from my summer reading are The Alchemist, which was a fast and thoughtful read, Dress Your Family in Denim and Corduroy, an amusing collection of short stories, Blink, a fascinating read on our snap judgements and intuition, and Broken for You, a lovely fictional tale. Now I have two more books on my "to read" list. The first one is God's Politics: Why the Right Gets It Wrong and the Left Doesn't Get It. I think it will be an interesting read, even for a Canadian. I came across the second book while reading the New York Times. It's entitled Going Sane. It must be the therapist in me that's drawn to this one.

To other rabid readers, "must reads" are always welcome!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

"Veronica Decides to Die" by Paulo Coelho is amazing. the title makes it seem depressing but it really isn't. (same author as The Alchemist)
I believe you may have the same taste in books as me. I read the Secret Life of Bees and quite enjoyed it.
right now i'm reading The Time Traveller's Wife and would recommend that too. and like rus, i could go on and on but i think the first book i mentioned sticks out in my memory more than any i have read in the past year. Last year was Life of Pi.

Anonymous said...

I own God's Politics and have read a bit of it. Must admit, I bought it shortly after the author was on our favorite man's show. I think it raises several good points that can cross over the border. I second the Time Traveller's Wife. I thoroughly enjoyed it and found myself rereading portions of it. The Pleasure of My Company by Steve Martin had me laughing aloud.
Sara

Anonymous said...

Oh yeah, I also wanted to add a Million Little Pieces by James Frey. It is the story of the author overcoming his addiction to drugs and alcohol and is very gripping. Just thinking about his account of going to the dentist for root canal, etc without any anesthetic makes me tense up all over again. Sara

aisy said...

oh rus... more faith in me and my book choices! elisabeth, i really want to read life of pi... and sara, i knew i could count on you to have already bought that book... i need a regular paycheck first!

elisabeth said...

this particular blog entry of yours has inspired me to finally start my own blog...i called it lisbeths-fruit...so thanks for the inspiration!