10.20.2005

writing in the mission field

On Tuesday I gave two presentations to the Alberta College of Social Workers. It was mostly just me rambling on about my master's thesis... surprising that people would actually pay to hear something so boring, but I digress. The conference was held at a local church in the community, which I'm assuming was a Christian denomination. As I was leaving the building, I noticed a large sign above the door that read "You are now entering the mission field." My first thought was "if only I had a camera." My second thought was "does the congregation get stoked when they read this or do they forget it's even there?" My third thought "hmmm, what would I want a big sign above my door to read?"

I definitely wouldn't want anything weighty... like reminding me to do the Lord's work... far too much pressure. Anything kitschy would just be irritating. I could be drawn to something really vain, like "wow, you're one hot tamale" (but that sort of mixes in the kitsch). While I continue to ponder the words to my fictional door sign, what words would you put on yours (and why)?

4 comments:

ngharker said...

i have always wanted a tacky cross stitched thing that said "You're not that cool." i think that would work quite well over my doorway.

Anonymous said...

I think maybe something a little inspirational, like, "Go get 'em tiger!" It would definitely have to be spelled 'em and not "them". And I would think about having the "tiger" capitalized. That may come accross as somewhat presumtuous though.

Anonymous said...

Every day I stagger out the door and look up at the sign that reads "You are entering the twilight zone" At least that's what is going through my mind. Whether the sign is really there, I just don't know anymore. This madness is utter madness.

David said...

the sign i need would say:

"yes david, i saw that too."