10.22.2005

so sports is our downfall


It hardly comes as a surprise that I would find myself reading a blog entitled "The Happy Feminist". I had stumbled upon it while reading another blog, and hadn't found it as interesting as I had hoped... until the author linked to an article about why women shouldn't play sports. She was obviously appalled by it, as was I. In fact, I was enraged. Danielle was perplexed as to why I let it get to me, citing that there are still plenty of backward thinkers out there. Upon further reflection I realized that although I had mild to moderate enraging moments, it had been a while since I was at my breaking point of "when will all the people in this world become enlightened?"

Read the ludicrous article for yourself. I should know that anything written on a webpage that is for "ladies against feminism" would irritate me. Below are the comments I posted on The Happy Feminist. I'm fully simmered down now, thanks.



Oh where to begin with this one?

"Christian women are often ill-prepared to be Biblically obedient wives and mothers." WHAT? Since when did sports make you ill prepared to be obedient? Most sports require one to take direction, extreme discipline etc. However, the most offensive is the requirement of women to be obedient. What century are we leaving in?

Point two: "The Bible talks about women developing a quiet and gentle spirit; I think sports fosters anything but that. They instead develop a competitive and contentious spirit that will cause them to have great difficulty in their marriages." Oh, but it is good for men to develop those qualities, as it will be such a "joy" for women to deal with competitive and contentious monsters in marriage.

Point three: "One of the reasons so many women today enter the armed forces (and workplace) is due to their participation in sports, which have helped prepare them for that endeavor." Really? I didn't know that. I thought women entered the workplace and armed forces because it was something that interested them. Who knew sports CAUSED that. I can't wait to read the research that this author so aptly forgot to mention that proves causation.

"It shouldn't be a secret that women's sports promote immodest attire." Those swimsuits they wear or the short shorts when playing soccer... *gasp. Forget the men wearing those teeny, tiny Speedos or going shirtless or even singlets in wrestling. No, no, when it comes to immodest attire, women win hands down.

If this author wants to continue in his sexist ways, at least he could use a bit more intelligence in arguing his point. For lack of a better word, he's an idiot.

11 comments:

mskaz said...

I just read the article you posted and some of the others on that website. I couldn't stop laughing. I mean, what can you expect from a website named Ladies Against Feminism? I really appreciate that they use the acronym LAF because that is what I did. Laf and laf and laf.

Anyhow I just couldn't see getting enraged about the article. It makes me shake my head, but what can you do? It's like arguing about religion. Neither side is going to come around to the other's thinking.

Now if my husband or father said or believed such things? I'd be enraged. It's different when it's someone you love, admire and respect their opinions.

Anyhow, this gem in another article caught my eye and cracked me up,
Some of us unfortunately have sold the wrong information. When a woman appears in public wearing soiled or wrinkled clothing, looking stressed and harried, she is promoting the wrongheaded idea that staying home with children is bondage to be avoided. Is it better to appear so before our husbands? What message would we be telling him?

You just gotta laf. Ha!

Joy said...

I was appalled, angry, but the article had some of the most backwards ideas I've read...well since the Politics Board of Linkup, but I digress:

It is hillarious however, like this paragraph.

"My answer is that sports prepare women to be more like men. Instead of spending all that time preparing our daughters as the Bible directs, we are training them to be like men so they can better compete with men in traditionally masculine roles - i.e., compete with them in the workforce, in politics, in the military, and in sports."

Yeah. Because that's a problem? what the heck?

This is my fave line however:
"Can a woman do this activity and retain a Biblically feminine character?”

I ask that question every day. :)

Anonymous said...

Hi aisy!

Thanks for your insights on this article. I thought it was fascinating. I almost didn't link to LAF on my site because it seemed SO over the top and ridiculous. I actually thought it was a joke at first, but believe it or not some of the very conservative Christians I've been corresponding with urged me to put it up.

aisy said...

rus... that's the blogged that found me to the happy feminist.

ruby g... i wonder if i'm even able to maintain my biblical femininity just by walking and talking!

eyun, thanks for the great insight... like ms.kaz says it made me LAF and LAF and LAF

aisy said...

i sound completely idiotic in my previous post... i meant to say to rus... that's the BLOG that LED me to the happy feminist...

David said...

aisy... good for you...

although, i fear your cogent retort may be akin to "casting pearls before swine."

falling on deaf ears...

i don't know where you find this crap, I try to bring quality stuff like 50 year olds dressing up like peter pan and the tron man (with male came toe to boot) and this is the kind of stuff i'm going up against?

i've purposely never gone on the politics board on link up because i'm afraid i'd lose my testimony. way too many close minded, simpletons.

i prefer sending hellacious profiles to my friends, and they return the favor.

i was just espousing the virtues of link up to ms. kelly the other day... without it... i never would have met aislinn and become friends with her, and g-unit.

so i say, huzzah link up.

i know that wasn't completley related, but. this is a BLOG.

David said...

"retain a Biblically feminine character?"

what kind of femine behavior is the auther advocating... Potipher's wife, Bathsheba, Lot's Wife...

so, he's saying that women who play sports WON'T end up slutty? Cool... more sports I say.

aisy said...

oh david... thank you for yet again saying male camel toe. BARF and *shudder

in my defense, i was reading a blog called the happy feminist (which is where i posted my comment). she had linked to LAF (ridiculous Ladies Against Feminism).

aaaahhhhh linkup. i did change my headline, just for you Mr. Pulsipher. just think, in mere days i will be moving to the republican stronghold, how's that for frightening?

David said...

it wakes me up in the middle of the night.

aislinn, what if i lose you to "them?"

aisy said...

not a damn chance... rest easy my friend

Anonymous said...

did somebody say republican? http://www.rageagainsttheright.com/becomerepublican.swf