12.12.2005

the day a narcissist felt me up


Last night I went up to Salt Lake City to see The Dandy Warhol's do their thing. I'll be posting a synopsis of the show on Popscoff. This post is to share an uncomfortable highlight.

While I was waiting for Courtney et al., to take the stage, I was chatting with friends. Suddenly this guy grabs me and starts talking to me. This is the conversation (the bracketed words are my thoughts).

Him: Are you a Dandy Warhol fan?
Me: Yes (man, this guy is really close and he's touching my back ALL over).
Him: Have you heard of the Brian Jonestown Massacre?
Me: Yeah. I recently watched Dig! (Crap, every time I move, he pulls me closer. Wait..this creep looks vaguely familar).
Him: I'm in the band (smiles). Who do you like better? (Man, this molester is Anton Newcombe. He's an unbalanced fellow. How do I answer this so that he'll stop touching me and so I don't tick him off?)
Me: (Smile). I like you both equally. (I think he has successfully touched every square inch of my back, and I'm hoping he will leave so my backside isn't the next target).
Him: Ah.. (smiles and walks off)
(my personal space was just violated by anton)

Now, it could be some random stranger who thought it would be funny to pretend to be in BJM, and who looks an awful like Anton Newcombe, but my intuition said it was him. The strangest part to me is that I'm not typically the woman in the crowd who gets unsolicited attention... especially from crazy musicians. But at least I have an interesting story to tell in my usually boring life. The Dandy's played an awesome set, and I took some awful pictures with my camera phone!

7 comments:

ngharker said...

You should have upset him just a little tiny bit so that you could say that you witnessed one of his outbursts. You gotta love celebrity lovin?

aisy said...

poop on you eyun... those damn pictures still make me smile!

Joy said...

in a creepy way....that's totally hot.

Sara said...

I will have to keep an eye out for him at the Dandy's show here.

Rebus said...

Makes you wonder what we're in store for up here...Too bad Anton is the violent bipolar sort. It always makes me feel bad picking on mentally challanged folks. But we could really have some fun, Sara what do ya say?

David said...

aislinn.

i wish i could say i told you so, because there's something really charming about smug-condescending-retroactive advice.

it would've been nice if you had a gentleman there with you, so you could grab his arm, and he comes to your rescue as "alleged" b/f.

i would've gladly been your proxy.

aisy said...

well, i did have a guy friend there (with his real girlfriend) but he just sat and stared and said afterwards "did you know that guy?" he also had to be told by his girlfriend to walk me to my car afterwards... so yeah

and i'm guessing NYC was much more fun that saving me from creepy McCreep at the dandy concert. but i'll be sure to take you up on it next concert i attend! when are you free? ;)