6.29.2006

ridiculous thoughts


Before I head out of town, I have a parting thought regarding pant buttons. The last two days I have worn pants that button on the opposite side from what I am used to. Yesterday I noticed something slightly awry. Today it was down right annoying. My hands are not used to moving that way and it almost made me want to drink less water. It did get me thinking about the merits button uniformity but I'm too lazy to start a campaign. I had always assumed that pants buttoned in the same direction but perhaps lefties are demanding equal treatment. I did hear sometime in my life, whether or not it is true, that men and women's dress jackets are buttoned on opposite sides from the other. I am too lazy and tired to actually google this factoid. If it is true, I wonder how they decided which side each gender received.

6 comments:

elisabeth said...

yeah men and women are opposite sides. originally, the mens were buttoned so that right-handed people (the majority) could easily dress themselves. and for women it was the opposite because they had other women dress them.
i don't usually notice that something is buttoned one way or the other unless Rus' grandma scowls at a button-up shirt that i'm wearing and tells me it's a man's shirt.
i don't know how strictly they do the buttoning these days; probably not so much.

Anonymous said...

very interesting about the buttoning info Elizabeth, I wonder if higher end clothes stick to the men/women sides of buttoning. If we were Amish we wouldn't have to worry about it at all, don't they use pins only? I wonder when the button was invented...there's some homework for you ais, you can google it when you're in a boring session or at your desk daydreaming about seeing you adorable Boston neices and nephews!

aisy said...

well, belmomma, i found an interesting link that answers that question. that's what i do when i don't want to do work!

elisabeth, thanks for the button info. i always wondered why that was.

Rebus said...

i can lend you some words of wisdom on elizabeth's ending remark as a seamstress... the rule of buttons still stand. men's garments button to the right, women's to the left. All fashion patterns are standardized from seam wideth to button sides; regardless of designer/maker.

regarding the amish: whether they are using pins or buttons depends on what the Order Elders have agreed on. Most use straight pins because it is too time consuming to carve buttons and would have to use a machine to produce them at a high rate. (straight pins as opposed to the safety pins because the safety pins are-again mass produced.)

Rebus said...

another comment on the amish: they use pins more readily too because wooden buttons break more easily... it's a waste of their time.

(i lived in amish country and asked them the 'pin' question once.)

aisy said...

wow, all this great information... thanks rebus.