2.07.2007

avoidance

There were several subjects I avoided like the plague in university: math and hard science. I also managed to get two degrees without any business or economic classes which I now somewhat regret. Every day I hear about the NASDAQ and Dow Jones Industrial Average without any clue of what that actually means. I am assuming that when they are up, that's a good thing. Why? I have no idea. Today I even did a little reading on Wikipedia to help me understand it. I only got through the first paragraph before I felt like sleeping. I know that the NASDAQ is an electronic stock exchange but I don't comprehend why one would want it up. I'd like to feel smart when the news reports the NASDAQ is up or the Dow is down. But in all reality, how many average news viewers actually grasp the importance of the fluctuating markets?

Perhaps in my next life I will be a business maverick but until then, I will be hopelessly clueless.

2 comments:

Sara said...

I don't know as much as I should, given my job, about the stock market.

But I stayed away from science and now kind of regret it. I fulfilled my science requirement with Physical Geography.

mskaz said...

If you want to be totally bored, ask my husband to explain it all to you. He loves talking/watching/reading about that stuff. Sadly for him, I am as clueless as you.

Not only does he have to explain financial information to me, he often has to explain (apparently basic) science to me to explain financil stuff too. I really should have paid attention in school.