2.04.2007

cars

I wonder why emission and safety inspections are required to register your car in Utah. Who does this ultimately benefit? Do mechanics put a lot of money in to politician's coffers? I wonder why I typically wait till the last day to get my emission test and registration. Can I blame my procrastination on undiagnosed ADHD? And if I do, does that require me to start making changes? I wonder why another customer continued to sing out loud despite the close quarters and my unfriendly looks. While I admire his confidence to enjoy his music, does he really think the rest of us wanted to be subjected to it? Can't he recognize that we are already enduring a fuzzy radio station and a woman talking loudly on her cell? I wonder why I declined to pay an extra $10 fee to complete my registration there, as I had to wait another 20 minutes at town hall. I know I can be cheap but at what point do I value my time more than my money? Sometimes owning a vehicle can be a pain.

3 comments:

Sara said...

If you were in Oregon, you could do both the emissions test and registration at one location for no additional surcharge since the DMV/DEQ runs the emission stations instead of state authorized mechanics.

Anonymous said...

If you were in BC, you would have to pay someone to do a $150 vehicle inspection AND an emmissions test, AND pay $350 for a new windshield, AND have your insurance rates increased.

On the bright side... um... er... hmmm... I'll have to get back to you on that one.

Anonymous said...

Utah Safety Inspections are a complete racket and a ripoff. Most safety inspection (and emission) programs work the same way. You can find complete information on how they rip off the public at this webpage called: "Utah Safety Inspections-The Facts They Don't Want You To Know" at:
http://9947587308.tripod.com/
Cars are a real hassle, particularly here in Utah. Utah is the only State in the West that still has an inspection program, which says something about this State (high taxes).