4.29.2007

my thoughts

Today's post follows ten not so tantalizing minutes of my thoughts. It began simple enough, as I pondered my blog and my incapacity to write... {Enter dreamlike sequence} Man, seems like so long ago that I would think up blog posts when I was drifting to sleep or on my way to work. Every day occurrences would be framed in "how can I write this?" Then it all stopped. I lost my drive. My posts started dwindling along with my creativity. Nothing seemed very interesting anymore. Hey, maybe that's the next post I should write. I'll call it "Readership Down" because, it's not like I write frequently enough. Watership Down freaked the crap out of me. Seeing it on the bookshelf always made me shudder. I'm pretty sure it still freaked me out as a teen. I still have no freakin' clue what it is even about. But I don't know why they made such a scary cover. Is it supposed to be scary? Is it a kids book or what? I wonder if I still think it's creepy. (Pause in thinking while I do a google image search). Okay, so maybe it's not that scary but it still has a creepy factor. Maybe I just don't like rabbits. What was my rabbit's name that ended up with a permanent kink in its neck? I promised I would take such good care of that stinky thing but I didn't really. Mom thought my neglect may have been the cause of the sideways tilt. Ha! When we euthanized it the vet said it was likely a stroke. Innocent! Dang thing. If I ever have kids I'll be sure to know that when the promise to look after whatever thing they want, they're lying. Maybe I should just give up this whole writing gig. Or maybe I'll just write about this.

And I think that took ten minutes or maybe five, but hey, who's counting?

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yes... we had our fair share of bunnies over the years - some named from characters out of Watership Down. I agree, it was a bit of a scary story - The Plague Dogs, another Richard Adams book, was worse. The best family rabbit story was the one we 'donated' to the empty cage at Calaway Park petting zoo.

Anonymous said...

It seems dad was obsessed with Watership Down. We had a large art-type picture book that he read to us and something else as well. That poster is creepy.

I hated all those frigging rabbits you siblings had. The worst was that vicious albino. Nothing worse than getting up to go to the bathroom in the middle of the night and seeing these glowing red eyes out of their cage. I just remember jumping on the credenza and screaming until Ted and Jim fumbled out of their room to chase the rabbit down. Damn rabbits.

And regarding the blog, don't think so hard. Just tell us what you ate for breakfast. Ha.

Anonymous said...

Ais, I love your blog, keep writing.
I've never had the fortune - or misfortune, to read that book, but the cover does have that potential creep factor.
As for animals, that is why we don't have a dog, I know whose dog it will be, that's why we have fish - and I'm the one who takes care of them!

David said...

that is a creepy cover, no doubt about it. i'm playing catch up on "LOST" and there is a pretty disturbing scene with a rabbit in the third season.

also, what do rabbits and waterships have to do with each other? i guess the world will never know...

Anonymous said...

It was a confusing title. These rabbits lived in a 'down' called Watership Down. A Down is a British term for a geographical area - e.g. the Yorkshire Downs. In other words, a high, hilly plateau. It was really a play on words as I think there was a war themed movie titled Waterships Down. Hope I've described that correctly for you David.

David said...

rocky racoon.

odd. i lived in northern england for two years, and never heard the word "down" used in that context once.

i did hear the "yorkshire dales"... and also heard the word "crag" used... but never down.