7.01.2007

o canada...

I have spent the last four of five years in the USA on Canada Day. Today's "Canadian holiday" was particularly amusing to me, as I sat in a Utah chapel singing all the patriotic American hymns in preparation for the 4th of July. I have chosen to live away from my homeland and I have no current regrets. That being said, I miss my country. I love my wonderful Canada.

A few things that make me happy about home:


Beautiful Banff and seeing the Rockies outside my window.


I love the Calgary Flames. I love hockey. I love that people back home love hockey.


Friends, and especially this particular travelling companion.


It always gives me warm fuzzies to see the majority of my family. The kids say the most hilarious things.

At home I can say washroom without anyone cocking their head and giving me a confused look. It is completely normal to say that someone "phoned" or to share your "marks" on your exam. I could bust up my arm, go the hospital and not have any concern if my insurance will cover it fully.


O Canada, my home and native land...

In my heart you'll never go bland.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nice blog Aisy - I like Canada Day too. We enjoyed fireworks on Saturday night here in our little island abode. There was a parade yesterday that we had to miss but today we'll watch the homemade boat races down at the beach - participants have to make them over 4 hours this afternoon out of $75 worth of materials of their choosing from a local lumber store. It was a lot of fun last year - guessing which ones might sink or win. They were all winners - it was a lot of fun.

Dainon. said...

Plus, they only do ginger beef right in Canada, in my opinion. Perogies are all the rage. Poutine makes me drool like crazy, just thinking about it. And Peter's Drive-In! Wow, apparently I love Canadian cuisine.

Wanna fly over and get some milkshakes at Pete's for old times' sake?

aisy said...

dainon, do you know i recently found perogies at a store down here? not as good but my heart soared.

i'll tell you what, when i'm home in august i'll drink a choc banana shake in your honour (unless of course you want to join me)

Dainon. said...

Hmm, flying or driving? I could always take in a visit. Maybe I could get Doug to visit at the same time. E-mail me with details?