6.25.2007

it's raw

Last week my gals and I planned a celebration dinner. I had just completed a brutal exam (cross your fingers I passed) and Jo had everything for her move to Arizona fall in to place. The food of choice was "all you can eat" sushi. We could each start with three dishes before ordering more, so that is exactly what we did. What we neglected to consider was how much food that actually was! Wanting to avoid the 75 cent charge per leftover piece we literally packed it back. After that much sushi, the eel tasted particularly fishy. I plugged my nose in hopes to choke it back.

It was only minimally effective but it was my last piece.

The lesson we learned that day was: bring boys or start slow and keep ordering if you're not full. This picture showed only a portion of the plates we cleaned off. I'm surprised I didn't vomit.


Addendum: Jo and I thought it would be fun to try something out of our usual repertoire so we ordered two pieces of Octopus. If you want to feel as though you were at the table with us, check out Jo's new blog, Wind in the Hair. Click on her link and see us eat it.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

That video was like a scene from Fear Factor - very attractive!

We've made that mistake at all you can eat sushi too - it rather spoils the event.

All the best to Jo in her new job and hope you pass that exam.

Jo said...

It makes me happy that you are capable of eating an entire octopus without raising an eyebrow. literally.

aisy said...

it really does spoil it because you're full and stressed. i won't make that mistake twice. the funniest part of the video is that i am so straight faced and she's all moving around and laughing. i think i look like brit, or she looks like me, with some of the facial expressions.

jo, we should do that again, but not the octopus part.

Anonymous said...

Impressive. I'm not an octopus fan... too chewy or something. I'd also never been served it like that! Yikes.

Anonymous said...

Hmmm....I had squid today and would be happy to have octopus tomorrow. It's chewy, but not so bad as cuttle fish. I had some once in Japan, that was like hard rubber, and I finally gave up and stuffed in my pant pocket, because I didn't want to embarrass my host.

After seeing the video I have an overpowering need for wasabi to blow out my sinuses. What was with the music in the sushi place, though? That would leave me nauseated.