6.18.2007

share the love

My love affair with Snopes is still in that new and exciting phase but I have a feeling this will be one relationship that will last. Snopes has yet to let me down, is endlessly entertaining and always tells me the truth. Take for instance a recent email that I thought was questionable. It stated that I could develop breast cancer from drinking water in a plastic bottle that's been left in the car. I consulted my new boyfriend, and sure enough, he told me it was FALSE. The only thing likely to happen is regret from taking a swig of hot water at the end of my workday... thankfully my breasts stay safe.

Several weeks back I received an email from a co-worker chock-full of great advice for teenagers written by the esteemed Bill Gates. Again, as I read it my first response was "Bull, Billy didn't write this." And you know what? He DIDN'T. My new beau confirmed this yet again.

There was also an interesting email that my pop consulted my man on before forwarding it on. I'm not a Bush fan, but I like hypocrites even less. I know Gore has justified the electricity usage, but still.

So, if some of you also share my boyfriend (we have an open relationship), please share some of your favourite moments with him?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Fun typo: thankfullky. I like to think of it being thankful and sulky because it's warm water.

I've loved Snopes for a long time. I'm trying to remember something offhand, but can't. Oh wait, a good one was that your dogs will die from the chemicals in Swiffer WetJet.

I find that most health-scare email forwards and "inspiring" words from someone famous are almost always shot down by Snopes. I used to reply to the sender and everyone else he sent it to with the Snopes link, but funny enough, I don't get a lot of that crap anymore. Heh... whatever works.

aisy said...

doh, that's so embarrassing. i always check for typos, guess that one slipped me by. well it's been corrected, thank you.

i think it was you or dad that introduced "us." and that's a very smart response for all those dumb forwards.

MF said...

Speaking of open relationships, the first couple that I ever worked with in therapy had a great idea for their failing marriage: have an open one! Great idea. This is where I slowly overturn my extended thumb from pointing up to pointing down and making a noise that resembles a balloon losing it's air whilst shaking my head slowly back and forth.
I thought maybe they came up with that salvaging-the-marriage-idea from a possible mass email. I looked it up on snopes. Your boyfriend has nothing to say on the matter.

aisy said...

sorry mike... sometimes he trusts the "master's" to know exactly what to do... which i know you did. ah couple therapy, so fun, so fun.