8.26.2007

shameless self promotion


Yesterday I completed a half-marathon. I know I have blogged about the triathlons I have done this year but this race meant so much more to me. As a teenager I struggled with asthma that often interfered with any sort of sport. Today it can be induced by exercise but is much more manageable. On top of that, I was never much for working out. I was not athletic enough to make it on any sports teams nor did I have any desire to engage in individual events. Last year I started to get serious about exercising. Running was still my weak area and I would struggle to get a mile in before walking. I was so focused on the triathlons this year that I didn't train as much as I should have for this race. Running was also low on my "likes" that it was easy to skip my run days when I was tired. As race day approached, I was terrified. I had only gotten up to nine miles and that was interspersed with a lot of walking. It seemed impossible that I would be able to push out 13.1 miles, especially with my knee giving me trouble. Friday night I resigned myself to the possibility of walking a lot during the race. When I woke up Saturday I kept telling myself to just do my best.

The course was beautiful. It wound down a canyon full of gorgeous trees. As I looked at the scenery and listened to my music, I started to just relax and enjoy it. I kept running and running, longer than I had ever before. At mile 10, I gave myself permission to walk for a few minutes. The last three miles were so hard. The course moved in to the town and out of the canyon. I could feel pain in various parts of my body and my knee but I pushed myself to keep running. Monica ran me in the last half mile when all I wanted to do was quit. I was so grateful for her pep talk and keeping me focused (although in the moment I didn't appreciate it quite as much). As I crossed the finish line, I started to cry. Perhaps it was exhaustion but I had also accomplished something that I didn't ever think possible. I used to be a lazy asthmatic that detested running and here I was completing my first half-marathon. All the downhills helped me to finish in a much faster time than I expected. I proved to myself that I really can do my "impossibles." This summer I have seen my progress and it feels pretty darn good. How lucky I am to have friends that encouraged me and pushed me to do all these races! Now I wish I knew someone that could rub my extremely sore thighs and calves. Yesterday I was on cloud nine and today I just want to find a really good massage therapist.

7 comments:

Dainon. said...

I'm so proud, especially hearing that background story. What was your time, eh? Oh, and Kathryn at Massage Envy on 400 South in SLC. She's amazing. Just $39 for first-timers.

Joy said...

Good on ya. As an asthmatic, I understand how difficult it is to the distances with that condition. I'm super proud of you too!

Sara said...

You can self promote anytime its for something as cool as this. I love it when races have music because I think it helps keep the focus on something other than one's pain. Way to go!

aisy said...

you guys are all so wonderful! thanks so much.

dainon, i finished in 2h10min and something seconds. it wasn't time chipped, but that's what the clock said when i went through. it was fast for me, as i really start to slow down after six miles. gotta love those hills. kathryn eh? i might just call, unless i can find someone closer to home.

sara, the ipod shuffle has been a lifesaver. the last tri i did, we couldn't use them so it made the run exceptionally hard.

Anonymous said...

I think a full marathon would be more impressive.

Haha. Kidding of course. Way to go. I have no desire in any way to ever do something like that. I hate running more than I hate being a fat ass. Great job, I am super proud of you.

Anonymous said...

Absolutely fantastic! Congratulations. I remember when you were quite young - trying so hard to participate in Wildwood School's running club events and how often your asthma would interfere. I never thought you'd become such a jock! Your inherent stubbornness and determination has certainly paid off - well done.

Anonymous said...

Wow Ais! You are amazing! I am so impressed with all of these races you have been doing! What dedication! You have certainly come a long way since our walks around the parking lot!