10.17.2007

elevator etiquette and other such things


Prior to the 3rd of October I was a Vegas virgin. My first trip to Sin City was quite entertaining and a post will be done shortly. I am still waiting on a few pictures from my friends. Our hotel, the MGM Grand, was huge. Many minutes were spent waiting for elevators and watching other people also waiting for elevators. And no big surprise, a great many needed elevator training.

I wanted to give a beat down to those folks that would push past the line of people waiting for an elevator, quickly jump in to the first one to open, making the rest of us squeeze in or wait for another one. A line is a line is a line. Get in the back!

What annoyed me even more was when people would squeeze on to the elevator before the rest of us got off. I sometimes get antsy if I've been waiting awhile and the elevator is crammed full but haven't ever had one take off before I can get on. I assume that others have also had my experience, so having to shimmy around another person is beyond irritating.

Then there were the people that seemed as though they had never rode on an elevator. If the door opened, the assumed it was going the direction they were wanting to go to. If they spent one or two seconds looking around they would notice that the light identifies the direction it is heading. Oh how I wished I had counted the number of people that would start to get on the elevator only to turn back when we told them we were going up.

Apparently taking an elevator isn't as easy as 1, 2, 3.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I could say almost the same things about riding the bus to work. Please, if you let me get off, I promise there will be room for you in my place.

Sara said...

On a trip to San Francisco, I had the pleasure of riding an elevator for 21 floors with a bunch of people who got on all at once and were really loud and obnoxious. The automated elevator voice kept saying, "floor 21, going down". One of the women suddenly yells at the elevator, "enough, already, I think we get it."

From the corner I was crammed into, I looked at the woman and said, "well, the elevator has to say it once per person who gets on the elevator." Amazingly, that stopped the woman and she thought I was serious. On the plus side, she shut up for the rest of the ride down.

aisy said...

okay, that's hilarious sara. some people.

and yes eyun, buses have that same phenomenon. i will never understand it!

Dainon. said...

I hope nobody spoke to you. Also a major elevator no no. Almost as bad as striking up a conversation with the guy in the urinal next to you. You just don't do it.