11.28.2007

i want this

Long ago I emailed one of my music gurus regarding a song I desperately wanted. Sadly, he informed that Cat Powers cover of a Cat Stevens song was only recorded for the specific commercial I saw it on. Now, I'm not a huge diamond fan but this De Beers commercial gets me every time... because of the song. Every couple of months I Google it again in hopes that the full song has been recorded. I am always disappointed. My one Christmas wish would be a full length version of this song. Oh how I wish I had the money to get her to do a whole cover and release it for my listening consumption.

What song from a commercial do you love? Enjoy mine if you don't have one.

8 comments:

Dainon. said...

Well, her new album o' covers comes out Jan. 22, but nary a Cat Stevens on the tracklist. Still, you might find a new one in the bunch. Hey, you never know ...

1. New York (Frank Sinatra)
2. Ramblin’ (Wo)man (Hank Williams)
3. Metal Heart (Cat Power *)
4. Silver Stallion (The Highwaymen)
5. Aretha, Sing One For Me (George Jackson)
6. Lost Someone (James Brown)
7. Lord, Help The Poor And Needy (Jessie Mae Hemphill)
8. I Believe In You (Bob Dylan)
9. Song To Bobby (Cat Power **)
10. Don’t Explain (Billie Holiday)
11. Woman Left Lonely (Janis Joplin)
12. Blue (Joni Mitchell)

aisy said...

oh dainon, why do you keep breaking my heart with this sad news?

Anonymous said...

What is the name of said Cat Stevens song, I didn't recognize it.

Anonymous said...

Recent fave -1234 by Feist.
Most annoying - 'If I had a Million Dollars' by Barenaked ladies - used by a charity lottery. The commercial was flooding the airwaves here so it got kind of annoying and spoilt previous enjoyment of song. Also - 'Taking Care of Business' by Randy Bachman for a financial service company - come on?

BTW - I googled Feist and did you know she was also in the '88 Olympic Opening Ceremonies - the same group of kids with a couple of other gals I know?

aisy said...

i never had before either... but it's "how can i tell you."

rocky, i love that feist song too. she was in the opening ceremonies? that's hilarious.

Joy said...

I love Chan. I bet that song will show up before too long.

Sara said...

Mr. Blue Sky from ELO. It is the song on the VW convertible "Bubble Boy" commercial.

aisy said...

i'm not too sure sherpa... this ad has been around for a year or so.

sara, i'll have to google that song. not sure if i've seen it. but i more than trust your musical tastes.