3.16.2008

confessions of a 30-something music snob


SONG HAS BEEN UPDATED... let's hope it works now.

There was a time in my life when I spent inordinate amounts of time perusing music sites in search of the coolest, newest, independent music. Then my life became an explosion of busyness as I started building my career and music searching went by the wayside. My work commute consisted of listening to NPR and I soon became an aficionado of world financial issues and American politics. I still listened to my indie music, went to a multiple of excellent shows, such as Of Montreal, Arcade Fire, Dandy Warhols, Regina Spektor, Mason Jennings, Rhett Miller and on and on.

I've worked with kids for 2 1/2 years that LOVE the hip-hop and R&B genre. The school vans seem permanently stuck on these radio channels. Most of the kids we work with are from California, so when I was out there last month I felt a wave of nostalgia for my former and current clients. In honour of them all, I listened to hip-hop all weekend. However, it had me so hooked that my station now fluctuates between NPR and hip-hop. While some songs enrage my feminist sensibilities, other ones get me smiling more than usual and dancing in my car. Give me a good beat and silly lyrics and I might just be your next shorty.

There, it's off my chest. I like "Kiss, Kiss", "The Anthem", "Stronger", "Superstar" and the list goes on. I'm no longer a closeted hip-hop listener. Coming out feels better than I could have imagined. I no longer have to hide my true self... an indie loving, NPR listening and occasional hip-hop enjoyer.

And as a treat to my loyal readers, please enjoy "Kiss Kiss" by Chris Brown. This song gets my jiggy on more than any.
http://www.mediafire.com/?pde0y18nyy2

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

my age is showing - that read like a foriegn language.

Anonymous said...

Aisy, your song was puchased from iTunes which won't let any of the rest of us listen to it. Damn that DRM.

Anyhow, if you want to listen to some truly good Hip Hop that you won't need to feel closeted about check out these songs:

No Regrets by Aesop Rock
Swan Lake by Blackalicious
What's The Altitude (Feat. Hymnal) by Cut Chemist
Bizzy Box feat. Cee-Lo by Danger Doom
Quality Control by Jurassic 5

and the list can go on and on and on. you won't hear these on the R&B stations but that's because these songs are too good for that. Think Indie snob, but with beats.

aisy said...

and here i was thinking i was a responsible music listener by purchasing my music. argh. maybe after work i'll put up that i, ahem, didn't purchase. i'll have to check out your recommendations.

thanks sir.

Joy said...

I like hip hop. I don't listen to very much, but I'm always keen on recommendations.

HRH said...

There is definitely a sentimental vibe with some songs, especially ones with a great beat. I have memories with Ridin' Dirty, Suga Suga (by Baby Bash), that one song that goes "Low, low, low, low," and basically anything from Usher. I can also play this game with Emo.

Anonymous said...

So have you made me my CD yet? Just like Deee-Lite sang, I just wanna hear a good beat. I'm so over the whole music snobbery thing. Yes some of it's trashy and trite, but if it's fun, why not?

aisy said...

cd is almost done. i'm trying to find a few more that auntie won't feel totally guilty sharing with her lil' uns. you know, gotta keep it sort a clean and not so anti-feminist.

ha ha.

aisy said...

hrh, btw, some guys at work used to sing the low low low song to me when i wore my uggs to work. ha ha. boots with the furrrrrr

Anonymous said...

ooh a fun cd?, me too, me too!

Dainon. said...

Man, I want in on that shiznit. For shizzle.

I think you might like this:

http://gvsbchris.com/bamagettinmoneydiplo.mp3

Molly_MW said...

Ok if you can admit it, I can too. I was at weight lifting class last week and the soundtrack was the following

http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=APHm8DbYkL0&feature=related

And I can't get enough of it.