3.01.2008

a week in travelblog adventures

So, I went on a lot of trips since October and haven't posted any of them. I don't normally do. However, I decided to make this week an "Aislinn's vacation scrapbook." It doesn't require quite the mental energy and some of my family might enjoy it. The rest of you can take an extended hiatus from my blog, as it may be awhile before any original written content appears.

I will begin with my most recent expedition which was a solo work/play trip to San Diego. I decided to see what all the fuss was about with Sea World. My two sisters offered very differing opinions. One said "(Husband) and I really enjoyed it. In fact, I got teary eyed a few times." Other sister said "It's okay I guess, well if you you like sea creatures and stuff. It's really cheesy though." In the end I decided to say hi to "Wannabe" Shamu (because there really isn't a 'Shamu' anymore).


On my visit I was reminded of my teary-eyed sister's extreme phobia of piranhas when we were young. She feared swimming in a lake in B.C. and was fit to be tied when her foot slipped in to my granddad's pond. Prior to her fear, I had never heard of those fish. I have no idea how her anxiety developed but it was hilarious. In her mind, Piranhas existed in every body of water. This is a warning to my sis: Look away if you're still haunted by these little guys.


Heading in to the shark encounter I ran in to the woman who won the "Most Overdressed Award." Perhaps she was on her way to a club when she decided that she and her family needed to see some sharks. (It was the shoes that really cracked me up. I just don't think walking around in heels all day is my idea of a good time)


So all in all, Sea World provided a pretty entertaining day. I guess I sorta do like sea animals. I do think it was overpriced but now I can say I have gone. There are still other tourist destinations I have yet to see, such as Disneyland. Unlike most other children, my parents deprived me of this important childhood milestone.

The next day I headed downtown and walked the Pier. There was a homeless man yelling obscenities and such while I was taking pictures of some trees. I started to wonder if it was directed at me but I just pretended to be deaf. Here is my best 'artistic shot' of the trip.


And in case you're thinking I stole someones photos from Wal-mart, here's one of my many self portraits. (I am getting better at taking solo shots. A talent that will come in very handy during my single, travelling life).


And there is San Diego in my little nutshell.

4 comments:

Sara said...

I would recommend a small, table tri-pod. You can bend any of the legs to the camera stable footing on a rock or other unstable setting and then use the timer function. My old camera used to have a remote instead of just the timer so it definitely made it easier.

Your parents may have deprived you of Disneyland, but mine deprived me of Disney completely. Bambi? Never seen it.

Anonymous said...

Ya, I still hate those fish. The fear started when I watched some movie with Richard Prior (sp?) in it. There was a scene when he stepped into a pond and his clothes were getting shredded to pieces by those nasty fish. Ever since then, I believed that they lived in ANY body of water. I since know better, but I'm still afraid of them....and any fish with teeth.

Anonymous said...

So the last comment left no doubt about what 'sister' comment related to who - though it was fairly easy to guess. Loved the pics.

Anonymous said...

Yeah well admit it was cheesy. Yes, it was a nice place, neat sea creatures, etc., but I guess I've just never been into wandering around and gawking at animals/mammals type person.

Oh and I've seen women at the zoo in super high skinny heels. So ridiculous.