6.11.2008

sometimes i am mean

And sometimes I don't care that I'm mean. Take for instance this quote from a mass email sent from somebody from my church:

Again we are sooooo sorry I hope none of you loose your testimony of the church over this or are offended and never come back to church because I really won't have any sympathy for you if you do jk. We are not perfect but the church is so please forgive us.


I may not lose my testimony over an activity that was cancelled without due notice (probably because I wouldn't go anyway) but the sentence itself sure does make me want to "be free from obligation" toward such future activities. (Please see the this definition to catch my not so subtle joke)

Reading this sort of email when I am tired is a bad idea because I think such wicked thoughts. I know I've made plenty of mistakes with words but the loose/lose mistake was so much more ridiculous due to the whole tone of the email.

Now I'm off to bed wondering if tomorrow I'll still snicker unkindly when I think of this.

11 comments:

Megs said...

Sometimes I like it when you're mean...you really are at your best wits! Even if it's at my expense...I still laugh, shall we take a walk down memory lane to the "IHOP field goal incident", sometimes I still laugh at how mean/funny you were that night.

annette said...

It's really not your fault. If the author of the e-mail had only proof-read his/her message before sending it, you wouldn't be having mean thoughts.

In fact, if that person doesn't get his/her act together, they could single-handedly be responsible for your eternal salvation. Talk about MEAN.

See? You're the victim here.

Monica said...

If that is the only mean thought you had about the email, you are doing better than me.

Anonymous said...

Proof reading can be dangerous Annette. I mean, what if someone actually stopped to consider what had been written, it wouldn't have been sent as is, and Aisy wouldn't have gotten her knickers in a knot.

Of course, the condition precedent to that possibility is a note writer with a modicum of sensitivity and half a brain. And there is no evidence of such before us today.

Anonymous said...

edit post above. Semi-colon in second sentence following word "written";

aisy said...

dad, i'd laugh if i actually understood the second paragraph! and no knickers were knotted. i merely laughed and laughed.

megan, i wasn't mean. i was merely pointing out some of your best assets!

thank you annette for reminding me that i was the victim in all of this.

and m, the whole email brought on many thoughts.

thank you for the welcome sara. i feel so warm and fuzzy inside. ;)

mskaz said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
mskaz said...

I totally agree with m. There is so much more to be mean about. The spelling is only half of it. The punctuation is the other half. And the last half is the content. (I'm wicked good at math, no?) The author is a total idioso.

I'm not sure why you don't go to church activities though. I'm sure they are fantastic events and filled with smart people.

Ha.

And snickering at that email isn't mean. It's the right thing to do.

Oh and dad's 2nd paragraph, if you are still confused, loosely translated is: the author of the email is an idioso.

Megs said...

Dear Ais,
I must concede you weren't really mean that night. I was just in a state of shock at the candid references to my..."best assets". I should be thanking you for the compliment and undivided attention I received that night and the person that wrote that ridiculous email should be thanking you for pointing out their "idiosoness". Because I agree with mskaz, the spelling wasn't the worst of their follies...

Joy said...

Uh, when I encounter similar things on my ward list-serv I think similar thoughts too.

Anonymous said...

I could write pithy mean comments about Utah County folks and grads/students of a certain school therein but I will refrain... ;)