6.25.2008

wasatch back

On Friday I raced with Team Sweetness in the Ragnar Series Wasatch Back. It was the most incredible experience. We covered 181 miles of some of the most beautiful mountain passes in Utah. We had a team of 12 runners each running three legs. My van was full of fun, encouraging people. My first leg was in 94F (34C to my Canadian readers) weather. It was hot, hot, hot. My teammates did an awesome job of cooling me down with water. After a failed attempt at sleep for all of us, we got the call from the other van that they were an hour away from our next exchange point. So we hopped in the van bleary eyed but excited. We hopped ourselves up on caffeinated Gu and Propel water. My next leg of the race was the most beautiful. It was about 1 a.m. and the moon was shining brightly. As my eyes adjusted to the darkness I could make out a lake and beautiful rock formations. It was one of the most amazing runs I have experienced. After our leg was done, we drove to a high school gymnasium to try to finally sleep. I think I managed at least an hour nap before we had to get moving again. My last leg of the race can only be described as pure hell. I was exhausted, it was hot and the hill was a beast. I think I walked most of it desperately trying not to cry. My quads were on fire and my heart felt like it might explode. Jessica killed the second half of the hill. She is my new hero! She has the bragging rights of running her whole leg. Our team finished the race in about 28 hours and 27 minutes and I was damn proud of us. Most of my friends can't understand how running that much on such little sleep was fun but it just was. The camaraderie was amazing. My teammates were exceptionally encouraging and so fun. I came home exhausted and had one of the best sleeps of my life. Crazy thing is... I can't wait to do it next year.

If you're curious, check out the slide show. Jessica also has more on her blog.



7 comments:

mskaz said...

It seems strange that we are sisters. There is no way in hell I would EVER do that! Good job. And you look great!

aisy said...

thanks sista! funny thing is, two years ago there was no way in hell i would have done something like this either. but once you start working out, you catch the bug

Anonymous said...

looks great Ais! What an accomplishment! Now, if at some point in your future, there's a crazy person chasing you with a knife, you could TOTALLY out run them!!

Jessica said...

I loved it. We'll have to do a picture exchange. I think a 2009 team is in the works, we'll keep you posted. Maybe we'll get Amie Jo on it!!!!

lyndsey said...

I had so much fun! I want a leg that makes me cry next year. Why? I don't know, I just do!

Anonymous said...

You rock - quite an accomplishment - that's definitely not for sissies.

Liz said...

You are amazing! I can't imagine doing the stuff that you do!