6.13.2009

busy body

I will admit that I was "technically" breaking Utah's new law of texting and driving. However, sitting at a stoplight does not "technically" mean you are driving. So, I took advantage of a very long red light and started texting a friend back. An old bird, with a dyed black coif, in a huge white SUV with a Utes sticker plastered on her door honks her horn at me. I look over and she's shaking her head and finger and me. Not one to be told what to do, especially from strangers, I roll my eyes at her, shake me head back and go back to texting.

As the light turns green, she is straining her neck to try and read my license plate. When it dawns on her that I don't have a front plate, she slows down to 15 mph. I laugh and slow down too. Not only is she a bossy, busy body but she thinks I'm stupid enough to pass her. Realizing that her tactics are greatly slowing traffic she speeds up a bit. At the part when it is clear we will be going different directions she tries to slow down again. No luck lady, I'm on to you.

I guess I should have let her get my plate just for kicks. Maybe her vigilante tactics would have helped her feel better about herself. The cops couldn't do anything about it if she did call... and I'm sure they have more important things to deal with... like forcing people to water their lawns.

Oh busy bodies. Life would be so much better without them.

7 comments:

Mel said...

It's hard to believe the nerve of some people. They run rampant in Provo I'm afraid. I recently had a BYU co-ed stop and chastise me for not shuffling all 4 of my kids in the same direction at the same time. (She was put out that she had to stop and wait for them to pass in a parking lot.) Wanted her to try on my shoes for just a day and try to say the same words. I actually wanted to tell her many lovely things at that moment. . . Your story gave a chuckle--thanks!

Dainon. said...

Ha. My grandma is mostly blind and can't hear very well and sometimes forgets her meds, BUT ... she never misses an opportunity to tell me that texting is against the law when I'm driving with her. Hilarious.

Cory&SadieK said...

What you have ODD!!!!???? How could you be so defiant with a lovely old lady--and her hair? It's funny how people decide they need to take the law into their own hands. I've taken to smiling and waving when people give me carittude.

mskaz said...

This story totally cracked me up. So typical! I would have gone around her and drove super slow in front of her, just to challenge her to do it! I mean, really, are the police going to pursue that? Kinda doubtful with all the hooligans in Provo. Ha.

Busybodies are just the best.

Joy said...

Great story. I would've done the same.

rocky said...

Hahaha... that is too funny. And as for the poor old gal who was arrested for not watering!!! - we have watering restrictions here. I've often wondered what would happen if I watered on a non-watering day? (I have been known to do it) I don't think I've ever seen bylaw officers around here - but I'm sure we have lots of busy bodies. I often flaunt the 'Dogs Must be On Leash' signs - but only when there's no other pooches with attitude around.

Dorienne said...

Poor old granny. I'm useless at texting. I can probably type a sentence in a minute and a half. No, make that 3 minutes. I'm just not cut out for it.