6.25.2009

when in rome...

Do you have to do as the Romans?

I have been solicited three times to donate to my local scouting troop. For $35 I will have the American flag placed on my lawn each holiday. I want to support the scouts but I don't really have a desire to have the flag. While I know I am living in the USA, I'm Canadian... so I am not really patriotic to the country or the flag. Don't get me wrong, I have amazing friends, love my job, love many things about where I'm living. I just don't really have warm feelings when I hear the anthem or see the flag.

So tonight when a man came by yet again, I said "Well, I'll think about it but I'm not American... so..." And his response?

"When in Rome, do as the Romans."

Sorry man, that's not a selling point. In fact it reiterated why I don't want it. When in Rome, I can love the history, the food, the people, the weather and that I'm a Canadian hanging out in Rome.

2 comments:

rocky said...

Can understand your feelings - but as a British ex-pat and Canadian - I gotta say that the US of A has an awesome anthem - except when it gets mangled by over the top artistic interpretation.

Penny said...

I know how you feel; I wish they would just put a Texas flag in my front yard...maybe one day!!