9.08.2005

seattle sojourn

Today I officially withdrew from my Ph.D. program at the University of Calgary. This was a big step for a kid who never dropped one class in any previous studies. But the time had come to face the facts that this program wasn't doing it for me... so I became a college dropout! What does one do when they drop out? Well, I travel. I'm typing this as I sit at my brother's computer in Boston. Prior to my jaunt here, I spent the weekend in Seattle at the Bumbershoot Festival. It was a fun-filled weekend of music, interspersed with some not so fun happenings. Time to recap the highs and the lows...

The journey began with the wearing of coveralls... apparently they were the "team uniforms." I scoffed at the idea, but found the uniforms to be quite cozy for travelling. They kept me warm when needed, and provided nice deep pockets for carrying keys in.

On Friday we stopped at the Columbia River to plunge off some cliffs that the men-folk had found the year before.
The LOW: Well this is a toss up between one companion (male) wearing a thong speedo for the plunge and another companion locking the keys in the car. I'd have to go with the speedo being the ultimate low, as the key locking worked in my favour (see HIGH).
The HIGH: After spending copious amounts of time on top of the ledge, and basically chickening out, coach shar got me to jump off the thirty foot cliff. If we didn't have to wait for the guy to come to unlock the door, I doubt I would have done it... as the group wouldn't have waited that long for me to take the plunge.

Saturday:
The LOW: There wasn't really anything that stood out.
The HIGH: In the evening we went to a show that was raising money for 826 Seattle. We were graced by the MC, Daniel Heder, author of Lemony Snicket and "the Transatlantic Orchestra" a.k.a Death Cab for Cutie. We went for the show, and I ended up seeing one of my favourite bands... it was a great surprise.

Sunday:
The LOW: Um, dumb Aislinn lost her ticket. After Graham and I tried several unsuccessful attempts to get them to re-issue my ticket, I sent him back inside. I figured I'd just chill in downtown Seattle and buy another ticket for Monday. I was super bummed, and angry at myself for losing the ticket.
The HIGH: I went to another gate and talked to the manager, shed a few tears of frustration, and was let in because he believed my sad tale. In all honesty, I was close to tears. I'm sure I could have stifled them if I tried harder, but who cares about pride when money is on the line? Not this poor dropout. On Monday we found a way to have them re-issue me another ticket. Graham was all ready for a fight that never happened. I was so relieved our plan worked!

Monday:
The LOW: Watching this stupid act "Idiot Pilot." The guy was an idiot, and his dancing reminded me of a seagull in flight. So, perhaps the band was a fitting name. I swear my ears still burn from the wretched screaming. Too bad because it was a cool venue.
The HIGH: Watching The Decemberists live. They were awesome. Okkervil River was a close second. We also had a new crew to roll with that day that infused new energy... and it was a terrific way to end the weekend.

Tuesday was spent driving all day, and one travelling buddy got a migraine and had to stop several times to throw up. But all in all we arrived safe and sound, and played jukebox ipod before arriving home. Each member picked a song and explained why they chose it... good times!

I have a week in Boston, which I'm really excited about. My little nephews just about beat me in bowling today, but I edged out a spare in the ninth frame. Guess dropping out isn't so bad after all.

P.S.-I didn't take any pictures in Seattle, but some pictures may be posted on my friend's blogs at some point if they so choose. Check it out at eyun's photoblog or ninjutation

3 comments:

mskaz said...

Must be nice to be such a world traveller. I'm stuck at home housing half of my siblings, raising my children and wondering what to do about my dropout sister. No cliff jumping, concert viewing or bowling for me.

aisy said...

just gone for over a week... not enough money to do some real world travelling... perhaps someday!

T.Douglas Robbins Esq. said...

Mmm... Boston is fair enough. I like Calgary quite a bit though.