2.07.2006

L is such a lovely letter...*

...for words such as Los Angeles! This weekend my sisters and I descended upon the sunny, busy city of LA. On our first day we went to see the "stars" on Hollywood Boulevard and stumbled on Garry Marshall and Barry Manilow doing some sort of promotion thing. The lure of Sephora kept us for staying too long to listen to what was going on. While browsing through some high-end children's store my sister pointed out that the woman buying $60 shirts for her kids was Emily of the Dixie Chicks. The celebrity count went down to zero after the first day but we weren't disappointed.

The navigational system in the car came in quite handy, although we quickly discovered that six miles in LA often means 30 minutes in a car. The tear-streaming laughter far outweighed the car-stress quarrels. Kelly kids are good at fighting and even better at laughing, and those car moments were the highlights of my trip. The warm weather was a bonus, as were the shopping deals but it was spending some sisterly time that really mattered. I'm still dealing with my family hangover and trying to shake off my homesickness. Since I've moved down, I've had lonely moments but none greater than this.

Families are interesting groups. For some, the family is an unhappy, unloving place. They have unattached relationships with little desire for closeness. For others, the family represents stability, refuge and happiness. There is loyalty, friendship and a yearning to be with them. I believe that all of us have a mixture of emotions when we think about our own family. My family knows exactly what to do or say to get me riled up, we don't always agree, and I have definitely said hurtful things. However, the general sense I have with my family is extreme loyalty, acceptance and comfort. I appreciate that I can spend a weekend with my sisters and feel truly happy. I'm glad that my niece asks me "When are you coming home?" when I talk to her on the phone. And I'm especially thankful my parents taught and showed us what it meant to be a family...

*the first person to name the song of the blog title wins a prize!

7 comments:

mskaz said...

La La La. I believe this is the title of the song, sung by Ernie and Bert of Sesame Street.

L is such a lovely letter, for words like licorice and lace, the letter L lights up your face...

That album (or more appropriately, tape) brings back fond memories of another Kelly vacation. I can remember singing along to that in the drive way of Hugh and Janet's home many moons ago. It was in heavy rotation with Abba and Carole King.

This past weekend was fun. Do you still regret not buying those boots? Avery loves hers.

mskaz said...

P.S. If I had known you were going to get all sappy on me, I would have given you a charlie horse before I left. Instead I gave you a hug and, ick, see what trouble it's caused?

aisy said...

dani, you win a prize... it will come in the mail shortly. i love how you did a classic kelly... deal with emotion through harrassment ;)

thanks for the hug and no, i don't regret the boots anymore. glad miss ave loves hers!

la la la la with meeeeee

Dagga said...

I am always thankfull for my family, it is incredible to feel the strong support net around yourself in difficult times and happy moments. I feel deep sorrow when I meet people that don´t know that feeling and has no comprihension of what family means. Distance has no meaning when it comes to family they still have your back.

aisy said...

since the writing of this blog, it has come to my attention from mskaz that we saw more than three celebs. as we were leaving hollywood blvd we saw a band playing on a flatbed truck. the guy singing looked like a total tool with his pants pulled way low so you could see his butt crack. we wondered if it was a band doing a shoot but dani said "no self respecting musicians would be on a Hard Rock flatbed"

I guess ms. barton would disagree

Joy said...

hmm, i caught the title of the song and then thought...no she can't be quoting SS.


I can push my brother's buttons better than anyone, but we are extremely loyal also. Its one thing that's tough about living 2500 miles from everyone.

David said...

i had a sobering moment when i was trying to console a friend. she asked me how i got through a particular time and i responded that "i just let my family love me, and they did, i surrounded myself with love." She responded that she hadn't invovled her family in her trials yet, to which i encouraged her to do so immediatley. she then responded that her family wasn't close like mine... that was really sobering.

to think, if my family wasn't my essential support unit. i'd be up a shi*creek without a paddle.