2.28.2006

raindrop on roses


Day two of happy week took a detour from what I had originally planned. I love sunshine and blue skies but I also love rain, and I really love lightning storms. I have fond memories of sitting in my parent's room with my dad and other siblings. We'd sit in the dark, waiting in eager anticipation for the room to light up after each thunder clap. So imagine my delight when I left work to see the sky playing with lightning. A rainstorm in winter! Now that's bliss.

And eldest sister, that title goes out to you. I still laugh when I think of that time you sang the wrong lyrics of that song (and at the top of your lungs).

7 comments:

mskaz said...

Either this was another family tradition I was left out of or I had moved out of the house, because I don't remember hanging with ya'll during thunderstorms. All I remember is the dog going nuts.

Or maybe I was listening to the Violent Femmes and wishing I didn't have siblings? Probably that, I was such a swell big sister.

I like rainstorms, as long as I don't have to drive anywhere. We've been getting snow the past week and although it looks lovely, I'm over it. I want spring to come.

PS - I am still surprised that I burst so loudly into song (especially at the wrong part). I'm not much of a singer. That entire episode was strange.

aisy said...

you were such a violent femme in your day... motherhood sure has calmed you (well, sort of)

re: ps- i know! that what made me laugh so damn hard. and regarding storm watching, i think it was usually me and teddy (sometimes with dor). but when did you engage in kelly traditions?

elisabeth said...

thank you for that, aisy. i haven't thought about thunderstorms for a while. i LOVE them. the sound of thunder when it is so close that it comes simultaneously with the lightning is amazing, it gives me the googlygahgahs just thinking about it. mmm, and the smell of the air too. spring should be on its way soon here in southern alberta...

Anonymous said...

I also agree that lightning storms are great. The house we lived in when I was young used to get hit by lightning frequently. Definately one of my favorite thing. Also, subject agreement is one of my favorite thing.

aisy said...

ha ha ha. bryce, i think i remember you incorporating a lightning storm in to one of your talks.

elisabeth... googlygahgahs might be my new word of the week.

elisabeth said...

excellent.

David said...

i've always been a "whiskers on kittens" type of guy...

haha