2.15.2006

only in utah


Growing up in a family of eight, I was often asked if I was Mormon or Catholic. I was puzzled how people figured out I was LDS (Mormon) just based on my family size until I got older and realized that we were a family anomaly. Many LDS families have large families, there is a even jokes about it such as "how do you know you're at a Mormon wedding?" The mother of the bride is the one that's pregnant." While checking my yahoo inbox, I noticed a headline that said "Mother, daughter have babies 90 minutes apart." I thought it would be highly amusing if they were indeed LDS because it would fit so well in to the stereotype. Sure enough when I clicked on the link it was written from Provo, Utah (Mormon central). While most of the humour was lost after I read the story, I still appreciated that our cultural jokes will perpetuate because of real life examples... because if we can't laugh at ourselves, who can we laugh at? I hope the mothers recover well, and that uncle and niece continue to thrive even though they are premature.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have an uncle not quite two years older than me. When my grandmother babysat me, she'd bathe us together.

Twisted, man. Twisted.

aisy said...

okay that is super whacked...

David said...

now now aislinn... JUST because the story was written in provo doesn't mean they were mormon.

i mean, provo is only like 96% mormon or something. so that means there's at least 8 non mormons... right?

aisy said...

oops... my bad!

Anonymous said...

I like the daughter's quote: "At first, just finding out my mom was pregnant was a big surprise." I'd bet!