10.24.2006

an honest mistake


I was loading my groceries in to my car when I noticed I had forgotten the laundry detergent that was on the bottom of my cart. I had a momentary thought of driving off with free ALL but my lil' angel spoke louder than my lil' devil so I drudged back in to Target to pay up. I was standing in line feeling utterly exhausted from my day when I noticed the woman in front of me had a twelve pack of Mountain Dew at the bottom of her cart. She paid her $34 bill all in one dollar bills which gave me ample time to ask her if she had forgotten the Dew. Although a very interesting self commentary was going off in my head, I had no mental energy or desire to speak audibly to her. As I was driving off I noticed her walking back in to Target with the pop in hand. I felt slightly guilty for speaking up in the store but was also mildly amused that we had a twin experience. Both space cadets and both honest. If you're feeling devious there's a good chance you can make off with free goodies at Target by using the bottom of your cart.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

oh man, this is a topic I could write a book about. Since having children my theft rate has skyrocketed - Partly my fault, partly theirs. The curse of shopping with a stroller is that there are lots of hidden areas you don't look at when checking out, and you're so busy keeping the kids from melting down that you don't pay close attention. We have 'stolen' socks, pants, and various other things that way.(all were returned upon discovery).
My daughter (almost 3) needs a few lessons on stealing as a few times when returning home from Home Depot, I have discovered some screws, nuts and bolts she has taken and dumped down the side of her sisters infant car seat!
Bravo to you Ais for going back. These days I don't take the time to pay for the item, I just dump it back in the door and get it the next trip!

Ryan Remains said...

i'm impressed.

i'd be like, wow, today is subsidized laundry detergent day! although, can you get seventh generation at target? because if you can't then i'd be out of luck.

ah well. this is why the bottom of my chart will always be checked, maybe my eyes are shifty?

MF said...

One time when I was 5 or so, I went to the grocery store with my mum (that was for you Aisy). We were going through the store and this barrel full of salt water taffy was just sitting there. Thinking that it was obviously a free sample, I loaded up. Put them in my pocket and everything. I chomped a few while following my mum through the grocery maze to the check stand. As I was finishing one, I saw that there were candy bars just sitting there at the check stand! YES! FREE SAMPLES ON CANDY BARS! So I took one of those, too.
Turns out my mom saw me eating them both and made me go in, apologize, and pay for the taffy and candy bar.
Thanks, Mom. For real.
Not for fake.
I learned my lesson, and it sounds like Aisy's mom taught her, too.

funny side note, with all of the salt water taffy slime (well, the slobber on my hands from jamming salt water taffy in there), my "sticky fingers" really were.

Anonymous said...

That happenned to me a few times - I once discovered I had 3 or 4 stacking shelf organizers at the bottom of my cart. When I went back in to pay for them, they only charged me for two - to reward my honesty! I guess it can be rare. I should have insisted on paying for the lot, but I didn't!