11.26.2006

crashing a holiday


I explained to many friends, acquaintances and students that Canadians celebrate Thanksgiving in October and yet I still took two days off to sneak one more turkey dinner in before Christmas. The hospitable folks in Vernal offered their home and food yet again. It was a fabulous meal and great company. Unlike a Kelly gathering, the holiday dinner went off without any drama. If only Mike had remembered the potatoes our October feast may have run a little smoother!

Rather than watching horse surgery, we rode them instead. By we, I mean just Kris and I. We had expected the more experienced horse riders to be our guides but they trusted us or trusted that our chances for death were slim. The worst would likely be serious injury. We did just fine and came home to watch BYU take the game away from the U at the very last second. Only two explanations can answer why they won the game. It was either due to me wearing my Y sweater or divine intervention from God. I think it was the sweater. A little more secular action was in store when we headed in to town for the evening entertainment. I was too cold to get out of the car to capture a picture of the six float Christmas parade with Santa and Mrs. Claus as the piece de resistance. I was disappointed that the high school marching band did not make an appearance as the two Vernalites that stayed home were parade band alumni.

Dinner for the evening was toasties which is a sandwich cooked in a fire using one of these. (I had no clue how to search for these but my mad google skills led me to the link). I managed to make mine perfect but struggled when making one for Kris. I forget the second slice of bread which was only discovered after it came out of the fire. I almost repeated the mistake on the redo until a kind soul took pity on me and pointed to the lonesome piece of bread waiting to be included. Another kind soul offered me this diagram after the almost twice repeated fiasco. I managed to do several other foolish things over the course of the weekend that will provide endless teasing on par with my human milk statement on my very first Vernal appearance. Hey, I'm willing to entertain in any form.

Although I'm not American, I'm still willing to give a little thanks. And this year, I'm thankful for good friends, loving family, and laughter.

8 comments:

Dainon. said...

Those chili sandwiches sound amazing right now. And much better than a week of turkey and turkey leftovers. Care to make me one sometime? I'd like you a lot for it.

Jill said...

I work with a bazillion Canadians and we had Thanksgiving in October and November. Its the best of both worlds, but the Canadians are always trying to make you answer questions about Canada.

aisy said...

well, i'd have to get my own sandwich press, but yeah, maybe one day i can swing one for you...

oh and jill, i find people ask ME relentless questions about canada or mock my accent.

mskaz said...

Ais, sounds like you had fun. I'm not really sure how you managed to forget the second piece of bread for a sandwich, but hey, you aren't so bright. And that sandwich sounded scary, by the way.

Also, Ais you were relentlessly mocking my accent when I visited last. And you are my SISTER. So it was almost like you were mocking yourself.

aisy said...

for the record, i mocked your constant use of "eh." that's not an accent... it's a phrase. so THERE!!!! oh, and the sandwiches are actually quite yummy.

aisy said...

i'd say just that... cause if an american asked me to name all the states, i'd probably say "i don't care." offend away jill!

Joy said...

Did you guys stop by wal-mart, by chance? I have a theory that virtually no one can spend much time with people from Vernal in Vernal and not go to Wal-mart. Some communities are rife with drug abuse, Vernal has Wal-mart.

aisy said...

why, in fact i did go to wal-mart. we went on thanksgiving to pick up some more groceries... they were open till 11! i also stopped by k-mart and we went to the gym (that was a very sad, sad place). the rest was spent at the house.