11.06.2006

ridiculously useless information on ears

I have recently been fascinated with the huge variety of ears out there. I realize that ears are just as unique as any other body part, like hands, eyes and noses but I haven't spent much time examining them. My study of the ear grew out of an uncomfortable work experience, namely "unsolicited flirting by a co-worker." When another co-worker asked why I didn't reciprocate, my response was that his ears were too small for any conceivable attraction on my part. Ears are not something I typically notice but his seemed abnormally tiny. At church this past Sunday my eyes feasted on the enormous variety of ears. Things I learned:
1. Girls can also have exceptionally small ears.
2. Some ears are very large.
3. Some ears protrude to an uncomfortable level
4. Lobes can come in all sorts of shapes. There are those folks with creases or misshapened lobes. Some lobes attach right to the head. (Apparently attached earlobes are a recessive trait... things learned on google image search).
5. Hair on ears are often blonde.
6. The more you look at ears, the more ugly they become

9 comments:

Jill said...

My ears are always red.

Anonymous said...

7. You can extract pus from pierced ears.

Sara said...

Re: #7, Sad (and gross) to admit, but I have actually done that. Hence why I no longer have pierced ears.

MF said...

ears can be a telling sign, as well. i once saw this kid that had all sorts of dead skin and flakiness in his ears. gross...clean those things out man!

Anonymous said...

My dentist always had flakey earwax. I would spend my appointments hoping that a flake wouldn't fall into my open mouth.

aisy said...

everyone except jill... i made the mistake of reading your comments while eating. ewwwwww. although sarah's made me feel the sickest

jill... always red? anyone else in your family have the same thing?

Dainon. said...

Sarah's comment made me laugh the loudest. As long as we were keeping tabs.

Did you know that your ears are one area of your body that never stops growing until you die? Same goes for noses. Just look at old people for proof. Big-ass noses and ears are all the rage. I figure that, given my small ears, they'll be about regular size by the time I hit 86.

Jill said...

I think that it is because I live in a climate that is too hot for Viking descendents.

I wanted to say something gross, but I couldn't think of anything.

Anonymous said...

I agree with #6,
I was wondering if Dainon could do some research on at what point large amounts of thick bushy HAIR starts growing out of those ever growing ears cause I've seen some serious forestry happening!
The flaky ear thing is so gross. My kids have clean as a whistle ears as their dad is a wizz with a Q-Tip.
My mom has the recessive ear lobe thing, and also a notch out of her ear at the top which is hereditary too, a couple of my kids have it.