5.26.2008

memorial


Memorial Day is an American holiday that I appreciate. Americans have a beautiful tradition of bringing flowers to the cemetery of their buried loved ones. These photos don't quite do justice to the impact that this actually makes.
When I walked through the Pioneer Cemetery I couldn't help but think of three people that I love.

My Grandma Kelly is my modern day heroine.

She received her Bachelor of Fine Arts in her 50s. She made a killer cucumber sandwich and taught me just how tasty marshmallows in a freezer can be. She died far before her time but fought her cancer as much as she could. I am forever grateful for this painting of me that she left as part of her legacy.

My Granddad and Grandma Rock met during WWII. My Granddad was a firefighter in London and my Grandma was a dispatcher. My Granddad loved to spoil us whenever we saw him. He had a terrific wit and loved to tease. My Grandmother left a legacy of service. I don't know if she ever said a harsh word in her life. She also never failed to send a letter for small events like a cello recital to large ones like my university graduation. She died before I graduated from my Masters but I know I would have gotten a letter for that too. Although I wish they were both still here, I'm glad that my Grandma only had to live 6 months after my Granddad died. Perhaps she's still bringing him breakfast in bed up in Heaven.

They each touched my life in ways that cannot always be expressed in words. I'm thankful for days like today that remind me of my amazing grandparents.

7 comments:

T.Douglas Robbins Esq. said...

Families are the best! Thanks Aisy.

mskaz said...

Very sweet. I miss my grandmas (and granddad of course) lots. I especially wish Grandma K would have met my girls. She would have loved them.

Monica said...

That was the sweetest post! It almost made me cry. I guess I hadn't thought about it being an American holiday, but you're right, it is a nice reminder of those who have left us. Plus, the cemeteries look fantastic!

Anonymous said...

That really was a sweet post and I think the holiday is a lovely idea - much better than one to celebrate Queen Victoria's birthday.

Anonymous said...

I love , love, love that painting. I also love that my boys proudly tell the story of Great Grandma Kelly (quite accurately) to anyone who inquires about our paintings! I wish I could have met her. You all had great examples of how to live, and treat others.

aisy said...

tod, families are the bestest.

m, that's one thing you americans do best ;) thanks for your sweet comment.

dani, at least the girls have rosie ellie kelly and the beautiful paintings. one day she'll get to snuggle them. i like to believe they get a laugh at us in this mortal world!

rocky, perhaps we should push the gov't to make a holiday that actually matters.

bel, i love your smart kids. i love that painting too (notice i didn't post my bum picture!)

brooke said...

cute post ais. i've never seen a picture of your grandma kelly. i wish i could have met them all. grandparents are so great! i was so lucky to have grown up in the same town as all of my grandparents, and even knew two of my great grandparents. i'm thankful that emma has the influence of her grandparents in her life too.
pretty pictures of the cemetary as well.