9.04.2008

the gods must be crazy... or just angry

I'm still healing from my traumatic Monday and can only now write about it. Excited for Labour day, I decided to work a half day. My plan involved riding my bike to work and then going for a long ride up the canyon. Sunday night there were some clouds and threats of a storm the next day. I woke up to rain so I packed my bike in my car and drove to work, knowing the weather can shift rapidly in Utah. I was in the middle of a family session watching the clouds get darker and darker. The rain came hard, the lights flickered and then the power went out. I didn't take that as a good sign. By noon things weren't looking any better. I gave up my brilliant idea of biking and went out to eat with a friend.

Of course the sun came out as we hit the road. I ignored the obvious slap in the face from Mother Nature or the gods or whomever orchestrated this little joke. When I got home from eating and shopping, I hopped on my bike to finally get the ride I deserved. I had hit my turn around point when I noticed something in my front tire. I stopped, got off, and stupidly pulled out the biggest thorn/burr I had ever seen. The air shot out of the tire. I panicked, stuck the burr back in, but it was too late. I was by myself with my flat tire. Feeling that this wasn't my day to bike, I called a friend. She was amazingly close by and kindly picked me up.

Maybe next holiday I'll try again, but I don't think I'm too excited about riding to work on Thanksgiving.

4 comments:

eyun said...

Not 5 minutes before reading this, we were talking about the Gods Must Be Crazy. At least you didn't get hit in the head with a glass coke bottle.

aisy said...

i kept looking in the sky, waiting for it to hit!

Anonymous said...

I know those thorns. Goat Heads. They suck. I remember riding though a vacant lot once and when I got back on the road I could hear all the thorns clacking on the road. Those things suck.

Joy said...

I hear ya, I've been planning to put in a long ride tomorrow, the day before I leave for 2 weeks. But no, Mother nature had to send a stupid tropical depression my way. Chance of rain tomorrow? 100%
Winds? 35-45. Grr.