2.09.2009

kids kids kids

Remember when you couldn't wait to be an adult? You were convinced that life would finally get good when you could make ALL your own decisions. Working with teens I am frequently reminded of the naive fantasies of being a grown up. Oh, to be a kid again. I can't quite convince them to enjoy being young but I wish I could. 

When I was about 7 there was this crazy snowstorm that hit in May. All the schools were closed and people were stuck in their driveways. I was devastated when my mother told me that I could not walk to school and would have to stay home. (Lest you worry about me being a keener,* come junior high my parents had to bribe me to go to school. I was the queen of excuses as to why I sick this time. Once when my mom was on to me, I drank a concoction of pickle juice and raw eggs to try and make me throw up. Sadly it didn't work and tasted awful). What I wouldn't give for a snow day now!

If I had my very own snow day I think I'd sleep in, curl up in my bed and read all day. 

Other ideas or snow day dreams are welcome!  

*Keener is an underused word in the US of A, so to those readers here you go 


6 comments:

Liz said...

My ideal snow day wouldn't be too different from yours except instead of reading a book I'd watch movies all day (I guess you are more of a keener than me!) :) (Hopefully I used that word right, I don't think I've ever heard that word before).

mskaz said...

Sorry, but I don't want a snow day. That would mean my kids would be home! Haha. Kidding. (Sort of).

If I had a snow day, we would cuddle up on the couch and watch America's Funniest Home Videos because those never get old.

Then I would have a nap while the kids got into stuff and then I'd wake up and freak out and ask them why I can't even have a nap without them getting into stuff. Then there would be screaming about whose fault it was and someone would run to their bedroom crying and slam the door while shouting that it's not fair and the other would shrug and walk up to her room, happy to be away from the two crazies in the house.

Then R would come home and wonder what the heck happened and I'd say it must be nice for him to get to go to work and have a nice lunch and talk to adults and then come home like it hadn't been a hellish day. Then we'd order pizza and hopefully watch American Idol.

The end.

aisy said...

liz, pretty good for a first time user! and yes, a move would be great too.

dani, you seriously crack me up. i can envision the whole thing going down just as you said. honestly, you need a blog so i can get my daily laughs. miss you guys even when you're all crazy lunatics!

Anonymous said...

Yes mskas... thanks for the morning laugh... and so accurate. I'd love a snow day here - it would mean I could let Riley off her leash and she'd have a wild and crazy time. Seriously... everyone stays home when it snows here. We had a few flurries yesterday - almost a snow day for the island.

HRH said...

Great. Another word to describe my geek-freak nature. Do you think the concoction would work now?

Cory&SadieK said...

My favorite snow day was when I was a little girls and we made snow tunnels all over our yard that's when I learned that I suffered from a mild case of clausterphobia when I busted throught the tunnel to get out and told my brothers it was because I couldn't breathe---If I had a snow day now I think I would strap on my snowshoes and walk around the neighborhood in my new coat that I can actually wear and zip up--yeah! By the way you can come over whenever you want as long as you're not sick. I'd love to see ya.