2.01.2009

let it snow, let it snow, let it snow

There was a long period in my life when I hated the winter. I couldn't wait for Spring to arrive... until I rediscovered my love for skiing. 

One of my earliest ski memories is plowing in to a hay bail at Canada Olympic Park when it was known as Paskapoo (such a cooler name). I'm still unclear as to why they had them but leave it to me to run in to one. All I know is that I was more intent on waving at my mom at the bottom of the hill than I was on looking ahead. Gratefully this crash didn't finish off my ski affair. 

The next fond memory I have is skiing in Windermere with Mel and family. Well, it's not so much a skiing memory because if I recall correctly, I got irritated on the hill. But I do remember singing and dancing in our bedroom to Milli Vanilli. Imagine my shock and dismay when I later learned they were merely scam artists and not just bad musicians.  Blame that on the rain! And how can I forget the time my mom let me play hooky from school so Keltie and I could ski Sunshine on a Friday. She even fed us homemade scones that day. My parents were and are cool. Again, I don't remember much about the skiing but I do remember losing track of my speed as we sung along to the Cranberries in my dad's truck. (Hey, it was a V-8... I didn't know what to do with so much power!!).  Apparently I have a theme of singing and not so much skiing. 

Probably one of my last ski memories until three years ago, was going up a tow rope with my dad on the now defunct Fortress mountain. Somehow we crossed our tips and I graciously broke my father's fall. We weren't thinking quite straight after we untangled ourselves from skis, poles and each other, so when we got upright we decided we'd hike the rest of the way up. Trudging through deep powder in ski boots was one our collectively stupidest ideas in our child-parent relationship. Skiing back down would have added 5 minutes to our total time. Fifteen minutes later we got to the top, huffing and puffing and sweating. Maybe that was the second to last nail in my dad's skiing coffin. Not too long after he took a nasty spill and sat in the lodge the rest of the day. Months later he discovered that he had actually dislocated his shoulder from the fall. Tough man, still is. 

In my 20's I started to try my hand at snowboarding but never went enough to get good (along with my intense fear of getting hurt... and that's why you start at 5). After one particularly bad spill I realized I could ski, not board. And that's when I rediscovered my true love for the sport. I have never looked back.

On Saturday I felt happier than I have in quite some time. I have been determined to conquer moguls and last week I got one step closer. Maybe this year will be the year. Whether I improve or not isn't really the point. I just love hearing my skis carve in to the powder. I enjoy the thrill of attempting a jump, even if I only catch 2 inches of air. Being with good friends and laughing till my stomach hurts is a pretty good bonus too. 

But mostly I love breathing in the fresh mountain air, feeling the sun beat down on me, taking in the beauty of Creation. Yes, life is good.

6 comments:

Monica said...

Saturday was an amazing ski day and you seriously kicked butt on the moguls. You looked good enough to make me have an inkling of a desire to try. As far as the snow, bring it on, we need a good storm.

aisy said...

You're too kind... I WISH I looked amazing. I know you, you'll be on those moguls next time FOR SURE. don't deny it! Seriously, let's "pray" for a storm.

mskaz said...

I was just at COP with Avery's class on a field trip. It's a small hill and I remember being so freaked out by it! Ha. It's sure changed since I went skiing there. We were watching some ski jumping practices and then a snowboarding competition. Pretty cool for a field trip! And the parents didn't have to ride the bus, that was the best part of the day! Whoo.

Be careful in the trees! Glad you got a helmet, especially considering what a spazzzzz you are in general! Ha ha.

Cory&SadieK said...

I know what you are saying about breathing in the fresh mountain air. I can't wait to do that. I forgot to mention on my blog that I also broke my tail bone during delivery-so I'm living vicariously through others and I'm hoping and praying for a late snow storm!!! By the way I miss you and I'm sure glad Jenn stalked you out....

Anonymous said...

oh man, that post made me so homesick for skiing! We haven't skied for MANY years and I do miss it alot. I agree with you on the snow boarding. I tried it in highschool and killed my bum and knees - I'll stick to skiing.
Enjoy it for me!

aisy said...

i am a spazz! and denise, one of my first memories is you coming down to ski with jim. good times.

sadie... that stinks! you are such a trooper.