12.24.2006

a very merry christmas


After hearing my flight was cancelled on Friday, and waiting for an hour and a half in a line to reschedule a flight, I started to feel a little dejected. There were some very nice people in line that made the time go by faster as we each shared our story. The girl behind me missed her connecting flight and her luggage was left in Arizona as they were told they could either take people or luggage. I quickly realized how fortunate I was to at least know where my bags were. I was relieved when I was given a flight the next morning. They told me they could release my bags to me so I could have a change of clothes. After waiting several hours to get my luggage I gave up and went to the hotel with my little toiletry bag from the airline. There were three Elders from my church that were on my original flight on their way home after their two year mission. I felt bad for them and their families having to wait one more day to see each other. My flight the next day was an hour and a half delayed which started to increase my anxiety. When they started boarding us I was in tears out of pure relief and happiness. I was so thankful to know that I would get home in time to spend Christmas with my family.

Tonight we had most the family together (we missed the Bostonians). We watched a video about the birth of the Savior and sang Christmas carols. I had the overwhelming feeling of gratitude to be a part of a loving family, sharing our love for Jesus Christ. We all laughed at my niece that is terrified of Santa. Any mention of his name brought her to tears while her parents reassured her that Santa would not come to their house. If this keeps up their holiday leverage will be "if you're naughty Santa is going to come." She's two so she may outgrow her Santaphobia. The kids will likely be hopped on sugar and excitement tomorrow so there will be more tears to come but that's what makes family gatherings so entertaining.

I hope all of you have a very Merry Christmas day. Thank you for the friendship and readership over the past year.

4 comments:

Hey, It's Ansley said...

That happened to me coming home from my mission. I made it all the way from Switzerland to Denver, only to find out the Denver airport was shut down due to snow. I had to spend the night there and get home the next day. It worked out better than it could have but was still a very long night when all I wanted was to get home.

Have a very Merry Christmas with your family!

Dainon. said...

I just like the fact I got to see what everybody looks like now. I was able to recognize most of those connected to you. Well, barring the little ones, who seem distinctively Kelly.

Merry Christmas to you (belated).

Anonymous said...

nice lookin' family Aisy!

Dagga said...

Late merry christmas and a happy new year Aisy,