4.17.2006

everlasting love

Unlike the new Pringles ad campaign, I don't think of love, let alone the everlasting kind, when I think of crisps*. I do think of my niece singing "Wraith Pinned To The Mist and Other Games" by Of Montreal. I made my sister a mixed CD and my nieces apparently always ask for "Auntie's CD." Avery is five and although she doesn't really want to go to Antartica because she thinks it would be too cold, she really likes singing that song. Now if only I could get her to sing it to me over the phone.

While I missed being a part of my family Easter festivities, I did spend the weekend in Moab for the 40th annual Jeep Jamboree. My biggest regret is not owning a digital camera. I have never seen so many jeeps and so many rednecks all in one place. The sweetest mullet belonged to a man with silver hair down to his mid-back. The front was of course cut short and neat. This was accompanied by an equally astounding grey handlebar moustache. I'm not mocking this man because I was truly in awe of him. There were those worthy of my mockery, like the beer drinking idiots that stood mere feet away from the jeep crawlers or the kids jumping off the bridge with only a narrow margin of error (incidentally a 16 year old missed it and shattered his ankle). I decided to fit in with fellow voyeurs by getting a nice sunburn on my left arm while spending a few hours at Potato Salad Hill. It took me some time to realize that people were actually hoping for a rollover. We left there to do some of our own driving and I was completely amazed at how much fun I had riding in an open jeep. It might just be everlasting love.

However, true love was spent hiking in the Fiery Furnace. It is one big maze. There are no marked trials and you are constantly coming to dead ends. It had to be one of the coolest places I've hiked in some time. Angel's Landing in Zions comes a close second. My new goal is to explore Utah to its fullest this year because when I'm outside I do find everlasting love...

*The use of crisps are my tribute to my British heritage which I also love. Crisps=Chips

10 comments:

Joy said...

I've been in Moab a couple of times during the Jeep Jamboree. Amazing.

elisabeth said...

i'm so jealous right now. fiery furnace looks so good.

MF said...

I love the furnace. it's a great place. also, i love that song, everlasting love. by howard jones. dope.

aisy said...

The Furnace is cool. I had no idea how cool. You truly could spend all day there and still see something new.

That song is fabulous, that's why I was bummed that Pringles was using it.pf

Ryan Remains said...

of montreal!

they make me want to brush my teeth. but i think i prefer my elephant six in slightly somber tones, i.e. neutral milk hotel.

aisy said...

hmmm, interesting ryan. i don't find neutral too somber.

Ryan Remains said...

i guess it depends on the song. hands down my favorite song is 'oh comely' which is pretty damn somber.

actually, i have to mildly shift on that last comment too because i own 'discovery inside of the moon' by apples in stereo on vinyl which is pratically the peppiest record ever, even for e6.

Dainon. said...

What you should be listening to are the Fiery Furnaces. I mean, c'mon.

Does the open Jeep remind you of days in that little red Tracker or what? I accidentally made that connection just now.

aisy said...

man, i totally forgot about the tracker... it met its final death this past year. the parents sold it to my sister-in-law's brother who had a visit with a telephone pole.

i'm realizing how much more fun it would have been with doors ripped off. have you sent me any fiery furnace?

Anonymous said...

You dont know me, iv never heared of you before now but jsut a thank you for using "crisps" instead of chipos, being british myself.