4.20.2006

today is such a special day

There is a great person I know who is celebrating a birthday today. Her behavior hasn't always been great, like the time she was grounded from playing Pacman on the Atari due to swearing or the time she threw a large jug of water on a kid (but he can be very bratty). She says some of her words funny, like tomato. She's taught me some good phrases like "lovely" or "just a titch" or "bloody hell" (okay the last one is a lie). Sometimes she gets frustrated with me because she'll say "that looks okay" but she really means "that looks good" and so I say "well is it just okay or is it good?" She doesn't realize that her subtlety, likely due to being British, feeds in to my neurosis. Well, she does realize it but forgets in the moment. Then she laughs at me and says "I forget how careful I have to be with you about the words I use." Unlike my one lie, this is true... it just happened this week regarding my new glasses.

She grows a mean garden and is a fabulous cook. I think her best quality is that she is loyal and devoted. Today I ate some Weetabix in her honour. Thank you to SuperTarget for carrying it down here in the USofA.

Happy Birthday Mum. I love you!

(Seeing as half of my family (excluding in-laws) celebrate their birthday within a week of each other... Happy birthday little brother that had the water deservedly thrown on him and happy birthday older sibling twins).
The cutest bird watcher I know!

9 comments:

mskaz said...

Happy Birthday Mommy!


Cute post, Ais.

aisy said...

Thanks! Hope she doesn't mind I posted a picture of her. But I figure you can't see her face that well, so she can still walk around undetected by my huge fan base of readers.

Make sure she gets spoiled this week on her visit!

Joy said...

Your photo of your mom reminded me of a story....

A couple of years ago, I was on a backpacking trip with a couple of friends and there was a couple from England in the same group. The guy from England called himself a "twitcher" and we just looked at him a sec, and it dawned on us what that word must mean.


Hope your mom had a fab birthday!

aisy said...

I just learned something new, thanks Joy. My mom's brit and I've never heard that. I have heard nappy, rubbish bin, lorry, petrol etc but those usually come out when she's in England (just like her accent).

I think her birthday eve was swell as she saw most of her grandkids. Alas, I'm stuck in Utah during the festivities.

elisabeth said...

so what does "twitcher" mean?

Anonymous said...

Happy belated birthday Grandma K!
Ais, lovin your blog, I finally decided to come out of obscurity and get myself a name other than Anonymous!

aisy said...

Elisabeth... bird watcher.

Denise, welcome to the fold! Ha Ha.

Anonymous said...

I just remembered that you said this week's blog was in my honour. It was 'lovely', and the best kind of gift.

For your blogger buddies... I'm not really a twitcher, we were just out with a bona-fide twitcher that day. I do love gardening, but am not particularly good at it yet, but live in the right place for it now... the place on this continent that most resembles England in terms of climate and it seems like half the population has Brit accents.

Anonymous said...

Your mother has been pigging out on Callebaut chocolate tonight and has a full blown sugar buzz going.