4.03.2006

full circle

My day on Friday started and ended with two different police officers. Once all the dust settled, I found it fairly amusing. On my way to work, an aggressive arsehole sent me in to the turning lane when he chose to take my lane regardless of the fact that our cars were parallel. It scared the living daylights out of me so I gave him a honk. His response was to give me the finger, followed by more hand gestures, followed by the finger, followed by reversing very close to my vehicle, followed by yet more finger wagging. I was silently raging, fantasizing about all the awful, horrible things I would like to do to him. He burned through the light only to cut off yet another innocent driver. I have never called the police to report this kind of behaviour but I was absolutely infuriated by him and the fact that I was now in a horrible mood. So, I took down his plate and called the local police station. The police officer was polite and understanding. He said he would give the driver a "talking to" if they managed to find him, both of us knowing full well it wouldn't happen.

I managed to shake it off, as I had some killer therapy sessions ahead of me. By the time I went to the Guster concert I was fully recovered. On the drive home, Lisa and I were discussing the concert and her impending departure when I suddenly saw flashing lights in my rear view mirror. Terror struck as I asked her "Was I speeding? Did we go through a light?" The officer came to my window and called me by name, well, the phonetic pronunciation. He seemed slightly confused as I told him he had the correct spelling but the pronunciation was different. He then proceeded to tell me my car was flagged as not having insurance. We had to open my trunk as I had left my purse in there during the concert. I showed him my insurance slip that had unfortunately expired a week ago. I assured him I did indeed have insurance but that the new slip was at home, yadda yadda yadda. It was all true but I didn't know if my sweetness and sincerity would fly. He "gave me a pass this time" and then I asked if I had done anything wrong. Apparently I lack a plate light which I didn't know I had to have. I think he was just reaching for a reason to pull this cutie over. Speaking of cute, Lisa was desperately searching for a ring on his finger. I was much relieved and drove on home. I found out later that the section of road I was pulled over in is crawling with police at night. I guess it is the bad part of town... if such a thing exists in this sleepy place.

March 31st will go down as my cop day, while my niece Parker will celebrate the day of her birth. Since being in Utah I've been pulled over twice. In fact, the only time I have ever been pulled over is in the United States. I guess Canadian cops like me or the USA brings me bad karma.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm not really anonymous. I'm Ange, but you can bet I have no idea how to post under my own name. Where's that tutorial you've been promising?

You got pulled over after the concert? That's when I bat the eyelashes that encase my doe eyes and get off scott-free.

MF said...

I tried that batting of the eyes type thing. The officer asked me if I had been using any illegal substances. He made me get out of the car and walk the line. Not Johnny Cash style, but sobriety test type.
As my good friend Ryan says, "That last part was a James Frey fabrication." Actually, the entire thing is a fabrication. Usually I'm just courteous and call them sir (or ma'am, depending on the gender of the officer). They seem to appreciate that. Also, I am calm and appropriate. They seem to appreciate that as well. Until they ask me if I have any weapons in my car. Thet get really skittish when I dive for my glove compartment, shouting, "You'll never take me aliive!"
Again, I James Frey. I always say that I do not have any weapons in my car.
Whoa...here's a thought. What if Jack Bauer or Chuck Norris was in my car and they asked that question? CONUNDRUM!

aisy said...

miss ange, i feel so lucky to finally have your first comment on my blog! yes, i did get pulled over about 10 minutes from home... i don't quite have your eyelashes, but i think they were sufficient.

mf, i was just getting over that liar who shall not be named. thanks for triggering my flashbacks.

MF said...

Ooo. That sounds like a really touchy subject. My friend has one of those: a person who shall not be named. It's his ex-girlfriend. He's married now, but everyone still calls her either, "the nameless one" or "She who shall remain nameless." It's kind of sad, but like you said, it triggers things that he doesn't like to relive.
"Get over it," said the Eagles. "It's gotta stop sometime."

aisy said...

ha ha. i know. i think i am more mad at myself that i was duped by mr. frey.

on a funny note regarding "he who shall not be named", i have an ex who was basically an ass when it all ended and my sister still bristles at his name. she often uses the "he who shall not be named." i'm over it all, but apprently she isn't. truthfully, i admire her loyalty.

mskaz said...

So I'm reading the comment about James Frey aka "he who shall not be named" and start cringing as I'm thinking, "gee that reminds me of that other jerk who shall not be named". Yeah, I still don't like hearing his name, thinking about all your wasted time with him and apparently now whenever I hear the term "he who shall not be named" I'll bristle. Interesting.

I'm glad you actually had insurance, when I was reading this I cringed a little as I knew your renewal notice was recently at my house and I wasn't sure if you'd followed through. Good girl!

MF said...

Run in with the cops. That sounds like something I might wonder about here in the next little bit.

Funny enough, about the buddy whose ex-girlfriend shall remain nameless, I harbor no ill feelings towards her. I still think that I am loyal to my friend. Maybe there are some counter-transference issues involved with some folks....

or maybe those nameless ones just are crap heads.

aisy said...

in my case... just crapheads. i think big sis just doesn't want to see little sis get hurt and then thinks "what the heck is it going to be like when my daughters get hurt by other crap heads." so yeah, maybe some transference. nice lingo... are you a therapist? ha ha