5.08.2006

the sounds of science

Ms. Kaz sent a link today about a truly unorthodox way to cure asthma and allergies. I had seen a show several years back using a similar technique (sans the feces) to help with several autoimmune disorders but hadn't heard much since. I'm still not sure how keen I would be to walk in human dung to rid myself of the lifelong pain I've experienced having asthma but I'm one of the lucky ones. I only had several bad bouts as a teenager that required two to three hours in the emergency room. My mother patiently waited, read, and snoozed through my treatments. Even then my asthma seemed mild to some of the young kids I would see getting treatments. Nothing was more tragic than seeing a young infant in an incubator with oxygen and ventolin flowing through it. As I got older, my asthma became more manageable and now I rarely require my ventolin. Sure there are those amusing moments when my wheezing is mistaken for a hissing cat but that is easily remedied with a few puffs of medicine. An asthmatic just learns to carry their ventolin at all times... just like keys.

This story touched a nerve for several reasons. My first job out of university was working with children diagnosed with autism. I saw numerous parents searching in vain for something, anything, that might help their child become "less autistic." You could see the hope with a new idea and the devastation when it didn't work. More recently I've been supporting my close friends as they've struggled to even figure out what the medical issue is so that they can find appropriate treatment. But the situation that hits straight to home is a health issue my family has struggled with for many years. It's not a life threatening disease but it has still been a long and painful journey, one that modern medicine has yet to be able to reverse. There has been a lot of traditional and non-traditional interventions and some tremendous sacrifices made to help the situation.

When I think of all these people, the common thread is that there is very little that they wouldn't try in hopes that it would help. As a society we've come such a long way as far as treating medical problems and yet, we still seem so far away. At what point do we give up and say we've done all that we can do? How far do we go to find that one cure? It's the realization that medicine will only get us so far, as we simply cannot control or fix everything. There will always be situations that seem unfair or senseless. Yet, life has an amazing ability to find balance. Just as there will be misery, there to will be joy. In the midst of the frustration and tears our family has felt over the illness, there is still laughter. I strongly believe it has created a deeper unity in our family and made us more appreciative of what we do have. Maybe we all need to have our own Cameroon experience... revel those moments when you walk in crap, as you might just find what you need.

4 comments:

Dagga said...

truly disturbing, I have asthma but like yours it is mild. I understand though why people try everything, I had a family member that was hiv positive, he passed away in 1991. Having been positive from the early ´80 he had tried everything, including compliete blood change and treatments that all kinds of wackos where coming up with to scam people out of their money, this ofcourse was before the drug cocktails that are available to Hiv positive people today.

mskaz said...

In the midst of the frustration and tears our family has felt over the illness, there is still laughter. I strongly believe it has created a deeper unity in our family and made us more appreciative of what we do have.

I totally agree with this.

While I was reading the article I was so repulsed but at the same time understood why he did it. And applauded him for taking control of his situation.

You ask, At what point do we give up and say we've done all that we can do? As a society, never. As individuals, it all depends on what you are facing. I suppose those that are terminally ill, although they can continue fighting until the end, need to reach a point of acceptance. In the situation that our family faces, I think that until a cure or treatment or even an understanding of the disease is found, we never give up.

Nice post little sis.

aisy said...

dagga, i appreciate you sharing that story. i'm sure it was an extremely difficult process your family went through.

dani, i like your thoughts regarding society. i think you're right, we can never stop trying.

Joy said...

I'm asthmatic. It was mild for years, the only time it really flared up was when I got a cold and it always seemed to turn into bronchitis that I couldn't kick. Since I moved out here, its been more serious, but its manageable. However, I made it halfway through that article before I had to stop reading. Oye...