7.06.2006

crazy

I was in Small Town, USA over the weekend where I learned something new at church. A woman was discussing various things that have been upsetting to her, one of which was an article she read in Snowflake, Arizona's local paper. I don't have the energy to find the article but this link or this one gives you the gist.

What? Does she seriously think that there is a secret movement to make one country in North America? I kept waiting for her to say it was a prank but then she talked about her pregnant friend diagnosed with cancer and that all of these things were weighing heavily on her... requiring her to pray to God for strength. It was all I could do to contain my laughter. This poor woman was all worried about Mexicans and Canadians combining with Americans to create one super country. I thought about spinning it in to a positive comment about us coming together as one people under God but decided I couldn't say it with a straight face. I'm just a stranger that sees the comedy not the tragedy in the article. Finding the links were especially amusing because any site that advertises Ann Coulter's new book is not one I'd spend too much emotional energy on.

What I need now is your stories of something so ridiculous but was strongly believed by someone else.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Both those websites looked pretty credible Here is another credible source.

Why would someone believe such crap? Think of it from both sides. Why would patriotic Americans want Gods country polluted with the foreign blood from North and South. Only the unpatriotic leaders (was he hanging with the vice pres before that picture) would want such a thing, since there is valuable oil in them there hills.

On the flipside, if this was put to a vote in Canada, it would not fly, since so many Canadians find national pride in not being closely associated with American politics.

Then again, Canada may be storing up some WMD, in which case a speedy(?) takeover would make us one step closer to having a nation similar to Wal Mart.

Anonymous said...

I really hope it's not true. I find it hard to totally outrule anything, not only these days but given the track record of these kooks, especially you know who.
Canada amalgamating with Mexico is another story, it'd be nice to have someplace warm to go in the winter. Kinda like Quebec, but spanish instead of french.
oh, and ironic on how it would be bad for the Americans. Mexicans and Canadians stinking up the joint.

Dainon. said...

Well, you DO know that Canada is just that little strip of land above the USA, the same one we see during the weather report? C'mon, tens of Americans can't be wrong.

elisabeth said...

here's a good one that has always perplexed me how strongly people believe it (i actually heard it from a lady in church last year too):
if you play certain rock and metal albums backwards, there are satanic messages.

Joy said...

We had a lesson in seminary once about the evils of rock music..including the playing the albums backward...I stopped listening when the instructor spent 10 minutes about how "Hey Jude" is about heroin.

ngharker said...

in a psychology class i attended, we were to read the chapter on subliminal messages and messages in songs backwards before we went to class. it pretty much said it was all bunk... so there i was in class listening to a presentation a girl was giving in class on the dangers of subliminal messages and messages in songs backwards. i think she failed to read the chapter before class and just kind of went off half cocked. i couldn't decide if i was embarrased for her or thought it was funny.

aisy said...

thank you all for the laughs.

Anonymous said...

Uh, who listens to music backwards?

I know it's probably part of the probe protocol during an alien abduction, but other than Americans, who believe the rest of North America wants in, who on earth listens to music backwards?

Anonymous said...

My mother was worried about my nutrition and tried to scare me into eating vegetables by telling me the following story:


"When I was in high school, we went on a choir trip and two girls decided that they wanted to save money. For two weeks, they only ate saltines, and by the end of the week, they were sterile."

She couldn't understand why I was laughing. I finally convinced her that the story was fake by metioning that anorexics and concentration camp victims can move on and reproduce.