7.24.2006

family tree


I wasn't sure I wanted to write this post as I've struggled to articulate my experience back home. I have been back in Utah for 24 hours and actually made it through work on little sleep.

I loved being home with my family and seeing the new additions. I didn't do much of anything except laugh at all the funny things that my nieces and nephews said/did. Calgary has changed so much since I left. It's only been nine months but housing prices have skyrocketed and traffic seems to be worse. I was glad that I rarely ventured further than the south bubble of the city. It was no longer the city I always thought so fondly of.

I feel like a hobo (sans the penniless). Provo doesn't feel like home but neither does Calgary. My family is where my heart is but it could be in any city and that is all that would matter. The vacation gave me time for much introspection. Time moves forward and people move on. We get busy with the day to day aspects of life and things that seemed to matter so much before can seem trivial months later. Sometimes timing is everything...

7 comments:

Dagga said...

Why did you move? or is it to personal?

aisy said...

i left for work purposes... i was sort of torn on the decision but it felt like the right thing for me at the time. i still think it was the right thing.

Katie said...

Always timing is everything....

mskaz said...

But we miss you!

The girls were asking when we could go visit Auntie Aislinn today. I was like, "geez you just saw her for a week" and Avery said, "Yeah, but a week isn't very long. She should have stayed for 100 days." So next time, plan for a longer trip.

Dainon. said...

Welcome back, kiddo.

Anonymous said...

That old saying 'you can never go home' is pretty true. I remember when I visited England and family after having left it 2 years previously, I think I cried all the way back on the train to the airport, knowing that my future lay somewhere else, but once I got back to Canada, I never looked back. It's not to say it that that place can never be 'home' again - it's just that you, things and everyone has changed too.

aisy said...

mum, you captured my experience perfectly. i guess i still don't know where my future lay...