7.10.2006

a movie script ending


Was it Star Wars that first brought us the idea that movies could also double as Hallowe'en? Although not socially acceptable, I tolerated the Luke's, Leia's and Vader's at the theatre. Afterall, they were the more awkward folks of society so entranced by the trilogy that they could not help dressing as their fictional favourites.

However, over the years I have started to notice a disturbing trend in movie watchers. Harry Potter openings were full of wizard and witches floating about the popcorn stand. It was usually limited to younger kids, so I shrugged it off. Then a few weeks back I was waiting for friends to arrive at the movies when I saw a few people walk up in capes and masks. I was confused as to why these wrestlers were walking in to the theatre when it dawned on me that Nacho Libre was opening up. This horror was soon forgotten until Friday night. I was at the movies with free tickets to see the new Pirates of the Caribbean (long and overrated) when I was suddenly surrounded by pirates.

I still cannot understand this dressing up business. Rather than free candy, you pay exorbitant amounts of money for snacks. Sitting for several hours wearing hot robes or ridiculous attire is completely unappealing to me. So please, leave the costumes for that spooktacular time of year when you get to dress like a fool, beg for candy and smash pumpkins.

10 comments:

David said...

i think rocky horror picture show was definitely an influence here.

i don't get it either, but i've seen it for superman, lord of the rings, spider man...

i think the people who do this are also into renaissance re-inactment

Anonymous said...

yeah, kind of the antithesis of Hallowe'en. it's like organics at walmart. not right.
unless (on the off chance) there is an "after party" that we are unaware of.

some theatre should play star wars, lord of the rings and the rocky horror on the same night just to see what mayhem ensues.

and yes, The Society for Creative Anachronism should not be trifled with.

Anonymous said...

I agree it seems sillyto dress up for every movie that comes along, but I will admit that I did dress up like a banger for the opening of Fubar.

Dagga said...

I work at nerd central in Iceland, we organize special openings of fantasy and sf films and give out rewards for the best costume. I guess deprived of organized events people organize it themselfs. I can totally understand, although I have not dressed up myself. Live a little, life is to short to not use every opertunity to have fun.

Sheila said...

Hmmm...unnecessary costumes...try coporate Calgary during the second week of July. Downtown is a nothing but a sea of suede fringe, striped shirts and cowboy hats. Yeehaw, folks, yeehaw.

Anonymous said...

Speaking of the Stampede, I just love seeing how some people look so unnatural in their stampede wear. Do these people realize that some of them look like rodeo clowns?

Joy said...

I went to Hitchhikers's guide to the galaxy opening night. As I was coming up the escalator from the metro to the movie theater (the movie theater is literally right in front of the metro entrance) I see 40 year old guys in front of me dressed in slippers, robes, (with pajamas underneath) and towels around their shoulders. I know I gave them a look that read, "you've got to be kidding me." Well, I was waiting next to them for 20 minutes and they kept pointing at me as there friends come and laughing. They thought (I could over hear them) that I didn't know why they were dressed like that. I'd read the book so I knew why they chose that costume...and spent the 20 minute wait giggling in my book.

Ryan Remains said...

I'm more freaked out that they aren't sneaking candy into the theater or conjuring it out of thin air if they are wizards as such.

I like the dressing up contingency. They make me smile. There is something about silly earnestness that is so endearing that I'm willing to forgive all manner of nerdiness.

Star Trek convention anyone?

Sara said...

Now, costumes at the Sing-along Sound of Music are a requirement.

Even a friend's nine year old niece thought the full costumed men for pirates wasn't right. If a preteen girl who loves to play dress up thinks something's missing you have to wonder. BTW, I agree with your opinion of the film.

Anonymous said...

Oh, Aisy. It is now the middle of december and for some reason I was searching "sing-along sound of music" and ended up back at this post. You are now officially a successful blogger as you showed up on the second page of the search.