1.09.2007

say what?

My sister and I were shopping over the Christmas break when Nickelback started playing over the speaker system. We made a quick retreat out of the store to avoid any more unpleasantness and began a conversation over their popularity. It's shocking to see that they are consistently on the Top 10 list of iTunes downloads. I can appreciate that there are all sorts of musical tastes but Nickelback? Really? Chad Kroeger's voice has to be one of the most grating things I have heard. I swear my ears start bleeding. All the music sounds the same and damn, he's ugly. Then I read tonight that they won a People's Choice Award. While most of the winner's are "interesting" choices I am still bewildered about their popularity. How can anyone in their right mind listen to a whole Nickelback album, let alone vote for them? This is not a group that I am proud to say are Canadian.

(If you are a fan, please don't take offense but do explain the allure)

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh, thi sreminds me of one of the funniest podcast bits I have seen in a while. Check out the Best week ever's video podcast entitled 'Mike Brit's top 5 songs of 2006'. The Nickleback part is so good.

Ryan said...

Amen sister! Nickelback is a Creed coverband which is really sad considering how completely horrible Creed is.

Sometimes the kids have really bad taste in music. Like REALLY bad. I would like to think that if I were an angsty teenager now I wouldnt listen to crap...but who knows maybe I would. I did have a 7 Mary 3 cd but to my credit also I HATED Bush (the rock group). So who knows.

mskaz said...

Their lyrics are so brilliant and deep though:

Look at this photograph
Everytime I do it makes me laugh
How did our eyes get so red
And what the hell is on Joey's head

aisy said...

oh man, that is soooo bad.