1.08.2007

signs

If you, your future spouse, and your mother (in-law) are registering gift items at Target, this may be a sign that you need a few more years before taking the marriage plunge. If your mom actually needs to help you decide which salt and pepper shakers to get then how did you ever decide to get married? I'm glad she pointed out the difference between those that grind salt versus those that don't. I hope she is also able to steer you to the more pressing issues of your life. More importantly, I hope you learn how to make some very basic decisions on your own.

If you act superior to those people that take a parent to make bridal registry decisions, this may be a sign you have become too cynical. I hope when you call your mom for help about some petty decision you will remember your hypocrisy. And even though you try to chastise yourself for your arrogance, there is a smugness in knowing you will happily register with your future spouse... without your mom.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Clearly this is an arranged marriage you are talking about. And not one arranged out of tradition, arranged due to pure incompetence of the bride and groom stemming from a lack of confidence by the parents in their children.

Anonymous said...

I'm thinking there's a story behind this.

Joy said...

me too. Somehow I don't think this is just an "abstract" rant.

Dainon. said...

Is someone getting murried, passing off an annoucement as smugness?

aisy said...

no no no.... no marriage... at least for me.

i was merely witness to this event at target over the weekend and was especially peeved because they kept blocking the aisles. i myself (if and when i get engaged) will not need my mummy to help me register.

Anonymous said...

And don't be asking your daddy for any advice either.

Christopher Stogdill said...

"Mommy.....I want the saltnpeppa shakers that look like little moo cows!"

Seriously.....who takes their parents to Target for bridal registry? I could see maybe taking the parental units out for this function if you were going to some super high-end bridal registry place because you wanted to make sure that the stuff your pick out matches the lavish heirloom items your bound to inherit when great-grandma kicks off "This Waterford Crystal pattern has been in our fanmily for 5 generations, so it'll match what you will inherit some day." not "Hey, this tupperware is the same color as my Jeff Gordon glass I got at Hardees!"

Glad you got to see some of America's finest in thier natural habitat...