3.16.2007

false advertising


In about six months my life could become a storyline on the retired show Thirtysomething. I don't really look my age but I have started to wonder if I should pay more attention to my skin care regime. In an impulsive moment I splurged on some eye cream that promised to "reduce the appearenace of dark circles and puffiness" and "brighten eye area." Where do such promises come from? Are there rigorous studies done where one eyelid etc receives such cream and the other has no cream? After several months of use I have not seen any change. My eyes look just as dark on my tired days and they definitely don't look any more "radiant." I didn't pay an extravagant amount on the cream but it still annoys me that there is not a noticeable difference over my regular face cream.

The sad truth is that I will likely get suckered in to some alternate cream or eye makeup during a vulnerable shopping expedetion. What happened to the good ol' days when I thought that washing my face at the end of the day was a BIG deal?

4 comments:

Christopher Stogdill said...

Thank you for validating my purchase of JNJ stock!

Joy said...

Hey, I bought that cream about a month or two ago because my eyes have dark circles thanks to the allergy and sinus ridiculousness. So, I buy it, tried it several times and all it does is make my eyes water even though I take care not to apply it real close to them. Yeah--its lame.

Dainon. said...

Isn't more sleep a good way to get rid of dark circles. I've always assumed that to be the case.

I got a facial the other day (yeah, my first ever) and, other than the red welts she left on me where she dug out my blackheads, I didn't notice much of a difference, either.

All this skin care's a crock, I say. Eat your veggies, get more rest and avoid the sun as often as you can. Then see what happens.

Jill said...

Ummm... I am a strong believer in facials, but you have to do it kind of regularly to get results. The ones that show results are microdermabrasian and chemical peels. Eye creams make my eyes swell like no other.